Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ Multi ] Destiny
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Destiny
Bungie, the creators of Halo, have been working on another FPS. This time they've got their sights set on a massive open world FPS that combines a loot drop system and level up system into traditional FPS. (Somewhat like Fallout or Borderlands.)

Here's the gameplay video they showed of at E3 2013:

Thoughts on this game?
11-18-2013 02:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me

I'm looking forward to playing it.

Gamingforce - Daily video game news and game console news.
11-19-2013 12:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me

Cautiously optimistic. I'm watching it but not hanging on every developer dispatch.

For Odin's beer! The finest brew in all of Asgard.
[Image: odinsbeerhalllogo.png][/color]
As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
11-19-2013 05:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
randomdrifter865 Offline
The Man of Randomness

About Me

Looks fun ,but can I just play it privately? Sure I'll invite people I know ,but I am never fond of randoms for the most part.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeRzAV7Ah0[/video]
11-19-2013 01:08 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

I looked and you will be able to play alone if you want... But you have to be connected online to play (regardless of whether you want to play with others or not).
Which actually diminishes my interest in this game greatly.

Also it looks like Destiny won't be coming to PC... (At least not any time soon after it's launch.)
Source
11-19-2013 02:17 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
RE: Destiny
Just to update this...

I've had a chance to play Destiny myself (I got a code through PS+). And so far the game is ok. There really isn't a whole lot that's new or earth shattering. I mean it's a FPS by Bungie. It feels a lot like Halo in places (like how the health bar is set up) and the Titan class (aka the soldier) very much reminds me of a Spartan.
One of the things I do like is that they added a double jump capability. This double jump is extremely useful and allows for some great mobility.

The guns I've used so far (a couple assault rifles and a shotgun) seem pretty solid (decently accurate at least given my relative skills, does enough damage against same to slightly higher levelled enemies) though it's early in the game and only an alpha so a lot could change here as they tweak and refine things.

I'm kind of torn on the grenade aspect since unlike other games where you have a set number, here you have a cooldown timer instead. I kind of like it since it's fundamentally infinite grenades... But on the downside the timer means in a lot of fights you might only really be able to throw one grenade before that fight is over. So at least with a numbered limit of grenades you can throw multiple of them if needed at one time. (And of course not all fights warrant having multiple grenades used. Some fights you might not need any where others you might go through 4-5 if you have them.)

I'll grab some gameplay footage soon to show this stuff off.

On the downside I'm still not fond of the requirement of online to play even single player. Though this game seems very much engineered to force online play as much as possible. And there is no option for split screen co-op either so that kind of irks me.

Also, I've found the load times for this game to be quite long. It can take up to a minute to go from the main area (where all the events/fighting goes on) to the home base area (where you buy new weapons, refill ammo, buy new armour pieces, upgrade your ship and etc...). It may be just due to this being an alpha build. Or there could be some level of network lag/issue going on here (since this game does depend a lot on a solid internet connection.)
Though once you're in the hub or main world there's no extra load time so it's a bit of a tradeoff. But I'm not sure it's worth it here since if you only need to spend 30-50 seconds in the hub to upgrade your ship and buy a decal... you may not want to waste those 2 minutes waiting for things to load to and then the hub.
06-15-2014 05:54 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
As someone who barely played much halo and liked it, would I like this?

06-15-2014 07:35 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Destiny, after having played it, very much reminds me of Halo combined with Borderlands and Call of Duty: Ghosts or Titanfall.

It's a lot more serious than Borderlands but retains a similar idea of leveling up, gaining new guns and powers. Though a lot of the movement derives from Call of Duty: Ghosts/Titanfall with the sprint, sliding and double jump/boost jump. And the lifebar plus at least some of the vehicles are Halo-esque (or Star Wars.)

As for whether or not you'd like it...

If you're not a fan of Borderlands, Halo or Call of Duty... Probably not. But if you like any of those games then giving Destiny a shot might be worth your time. That stated, I still find it hard to recommend to anyone simply because of the always online component...
06-15-2014 08:29 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Destiny is coming out tomorrow and Bungie has released a new trailer for the game.

I have to admit the trailer looks pretty cool.
09-08-2014 10:18 AM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
I think I will pick this up for the PS3, just to see if its worth playing.

09-14-2014 10:56 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
You never tried the alpha/beta? Also, if you get it on PS3 and later get a PS4 are you going to use the upgrade plan they offer?

My sibling is going to be getting this probably tomorrow (on PS4). So I'll likely play on Tuesday.
09-14-2014 11:33 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
no, I didn't look into getting the alpha or beta but yeah I hope to make use of the upgrade plan if possible.

09-15-2014 01:49 AM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
I'm going to be playing this tomorrow, any tips I should keep in mind? And since it's all online, how long till I get to the mutilplayer part of it?

10-04-2014 02:22 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
The competitive stuff you can start at any time (after the intro where you get your gun and ship). But I recommend that you hold off until level 12-15 since otherwise you're outclassed far too easily. (Sure your character's damage will scale up to do more to higher levels, but they also have more skills and better armour effects which mean a world of difference.)

For co-op, once you complete the intro mission (getting a gun and your ship) then you can start co-op. (As an aside, if you plan to play any Strike missions they're mandatory co-op. So you'll auto-team up with other players to attempt these. And for the most part you will need the help of 2 extra players. While you can sometimes complete the mission with only one other person, it's that much harder.)

And as you're going through areas, you'll see other players in the area fighting enemies alongside you. So even if you're not actually playing with them in your party/fireteam they can still help you out.
10-04-2014 08:55 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
I've completed two missions (intro and the warp drive), and it's pretty fun. Despite the always online being a good and bad thing, it's a overall good thing.

So what I need to know now is, what is the quickest way to gain levels and what should I focus on for equipment?

10-05-2014 12:56 AM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
Used to be shooting into a cave in the ground. Now we don't know.

For Odin's beer! The finest brew in all of Asgard.
[Image: odinsbeerhalllogo.png][/color]
As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
10-05-2014 10:39 AM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
I think there is still one cave left, I need to double check.

10-05-2014 04:40 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
Thank god for loot spots, currently hitting this one up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7q46o89TtU

A bit of a task, but I've gotten some nice weapons.

10-08-2014 10:56 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Is that the only known/good loot spot currently?

And they haven't patched it out yet have they ? ( Like they did with the last one. )

Also, what sort of good stuff have you gotten?
10-11-2014 01:13 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
Yes it is, a new patch is coming out tomorrow so hard to say if it will still work. I mostly gotten green drops from them but others have gotten blue.

I say it's a good spot for starters otherwise focus on other things like Strikes, which my ass was handed to me tonight on my first strike on a level 18 (I'm 19).

10-14-2014 02:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Our Affiliates - Affiliate with us!
Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight
We're listed at:
Forum Promotion RPGfix Vote for Endless Fight at Top Site List Planet
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison