Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrule Warriors
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Hyrule Warriors
What happens if you take Tecmo Koei (Dynasty Warriors) and Nintendo(Legend of Zelda) and combine two of their respective franchises?

Apparently this:

Although the name isn't finalized, they're in development far enough that they want to show off the game. (I highly doubt they'll call it Dynasty Warriors: Zelda though.)

What do you think based off the brief trailer?
12-19-2013 03:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Stryker Offline
Stone Cold

About Me

Nintendo is treading onto some very redundant grounds with this one. DW has like what, 9+ games already? I played half of 'em. Also, I just got done being a frickin Gundam. Link is cool and all, but cmon.. you can't top a Gundam.

I'd be all for it if you could character customize or something.(lil African-American elf boy ftw) but I doubt I'd see that. I just hope this doesn't give Nintendo any ideas of continuing to throw LoZ in this direction. I think I'd prefer my Zelda games with a little more realism. (I even wish the games had armor to worry about and whatnot)

[Image: Silv3r%20Stryker.jpg]
12-20-2013 03:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

I haven't played many of the Dynasty Warriors series (only Dynasty Warriors: Next on Vita and Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 on PS3) but I like that style of game.

And I think this would be a great way to play as a variety of different LoZ characters. Maybe get to play as Zelda herself, a Zora, a Goron (rolling around the battlefield tossing boulders), perhaps even Ganondorf?
And having a character creator would also be pretty cool too (so you could create your own custom characters to play as and to use for your generals too).
12-20-2013 03:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me

too little info to say for sure, but if Nintendo does this justice it would be a great game. I think the following characters should be in it:

Link and able to customize him
Zora
Goron
gerudo warrior
Zelda
Ganondorf
Sheik
wolf link/midna
skull kid with MM
Fierce Deity's Mask Link

and, I don't think there is any other possible characters.

Gamingforce - Daily video game news and game console news.
12-20-2013 02:40 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me

Looks pretty cool, certainly needs some polish, but I'll keep an eye on this. I'd have liked to see more than one character, hopefully they'll expand the roster. Right now Link already has a greater movepool than any Dynasty Warriors character, but still, much of the draw for those games comes from the variety of characters to choose from. If it were Link and only Link I could see this game getting boring after the first 20 hours or so. Although the variety of enemies certainly adds something, not simply cutting through hordes of faceless minions.

@Demon Skeith, they could also use the Sages, Tetra, all the different incarnations of Link like Young Link, Toon Link, Skyward Sword, the heroes in the bar of Twilight Princess. But still, not as many characters as we're used to in Dynasty Warriors games.

For Odin's beer! The finest brew in all of Asgard.
[Image: odinsbeerhalllogo.png][/color]
As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
12-21-2013 01:23 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
RE: Hyrule Warriors
So this game has come out and I've picked it up...

I think it's a pretty good game. Compared to Dynasty Warriors Gundam series the movement feels a bit slower because the characters don't have the boost ability. (In DW: Gundam pushing the bottom face button causes you to dash quickly.) But at the same time the removal of the boost gauge means you can dodge more often and keep moving.

Combat in this game follows the same idea of stringing together button sequences for different combos and in truth they work quite well. Though it also feels somewhat smoother than the Gundam series. Combos often seem to flow nicer together and the block ability is actually useful. (Unlike in DW:G where it seems to take a second to kick in before you actually can block, blocking here starts basically instantly. But only in front of you.)

Also the ability to lock onto enemies means you can easily track and fight the bigger enemies amid a sea of minions.

I do like how they handled the inclusion of traditional Legend of Zelda items (Bombs, Hookshot, Bow and Boomerang). Instead of each character having to collect them, one one has to then they're unlocked for everyone. Each item is used to solve a different puzzle/obstacle/Bossfight.
Spoiler:
Bombs blow up rocks and one hit kill the stationary eye laser enemies.
Boomerang cuts down cursed vines and stuns enemies.
Bow insta-kills Deku Babas, stuns singular enemies.
Hookshot pulls you to places you can't normally reach or pulls you to enemies.

The Bottles are also handled quite nicely. They're unlocked for each character separately as an upgrade. But once you have it unlocked you can use that bottle to refill 5 hearts (at first) per map. And the bottle is refilled automatically before each map. You can unlock up to 3 bottles though they all have the exact same effect.

As you collect more Gold Skulltulas though your potions become more potent. So you can heal 10 hearts later on. Additionally collecting Skulltulas grants new effects you can add to your potions. Things like find more materials or more rupees.

In terms of character selection there is quite a variation...
Link, Zelda, Impa, Sheik, Midna, Darunia and quite a few others are available to play as. Most are unlocked by progressing though the campaign mode.

Each hero can level up to 255 and has numerous upgrades they can acquire. Though adding an upgrade costs you materials that you pick up from defeating captains and bosses. So it definitely encourages a bit of farming for items to improve characters. (Requires some if you want to max them out...)
Each level up provides a small buff to the health and damage output of that character. (Though most health increase is still achieved by collecting heart pieces. And each character has their own full set of heart pieces/containers to collect.)

Campaign mode's story is that a Sorceress (named Cia) becomes infatuated with the Hero's soul (and the tragedy of that it must endure... returning only when the world needs saving). So she sets out to capture the soul and "save" it. But in the process she becomes corrupted. And soon she threatens the world, which forces the Hero to awaken.

There are about 17 maps (if I recall correctly). Each of which take roughly 35 minutes to beat the first time. (Though after the main game is completed it unlocks new Skulltulas, that only appear on hard, to encourage players to go back and re-complete levels on hard.)

After the main campaign is done there's Adventure mode to extend replayability. Adventure mode takes the original Legend of Zelda map and uses it to set up different challenges for rewards. The player navigates their 8-bit sprite (of whichever character they played as last) around the map, using classic LoZ items (like the Bomb, Compass or Candle) to search the map to unlock treasures in the mission part. Each square of the map represents a mission with some objective.
Different objectives include:
- Kill X enemies in Y time
- Attacks do massive damage (2 hits = death for you, 1 hit = death for enemies)
- Capture bases
- Fight bosses

I do like the fact that the game has local co-op. But it's kinda hindered in that it requires one player to use the TV and the other to use only the tablet controller. (So player 1 using the tablet has only it, there is no option to use split screen on the TV.)

Though it does work well and having a second player (for story mode or adventure mode) can really help (since they can level up a second character while ensuring things go smoother in game).

I should touch on the fact that the AI for minor allies and enemies is pretty stupid. On normal mode minor mooks basically won't even attack you unless you stand still right in front of them for a few seconds. This gives you plenty of time to wipe out hoards of them easily. Your mook allies are similarly stupid and don't do much at all. Though named allies like Zelda or Impa are far more effective and will actually attack.
Similarly the named enemies can be quite powerful at times and require a fair bit to bring down.

Ultimately, is this game worth buying?

If you like Dynasty Warriors games? Yes, this is worth your time/money. It feels like a slightly different take on the traditional Dynasty Warriors games while still being true to the series.

If you like Legend of Zelda games? It's a harder sell given that it's a different game type. But it's full of fanservice (the music in full orchestral majesty and the ability to play as many of the popular characters) and is still worth checking out.

If you don't like either Legend of Zelda or Dynasty Warriors then you may want to give this game a pass (unless you can get it for cheap). It has nothing that you'd likely be interested in and the fact some farming/grinding is needed means boredom is sure to ensure.

This game does have more value if you have a friend who is interested in playing it with you. But if you're going it solo there's still a lot here for you.
05-01-2015 12:53 AM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
(05-01-2015 12:53 AM)VirusZero Wrote:  I should touch on the fact that the AI for minor allies and enemies is pretty stupid. On normal mode minor mooks basically won't even attack you unless you stand still right in front of them for a few seconds. This gives you plenty of time to wipe out hoards of them easily. Your mook allies are similarly stupid and don't do much at all. Though named allies like Zelda or Impa are far more effective and will actually attack.
Similarly the named enemies can be quite powerful at times and require a fair bit to bring down.
My main concern is the difficulty of this game, the videos I've seen make me think that the game offers very little resistance to the player. The mooks never seem to fight back, and even on harder difficulty it seems to me that they don't attack any more often, just that if you take a hit you are given far more damage. Would you say that is an accurate assessment?

Also, do you feel that the lack of variety with enemy generals hurts the game? In Dynasty Warriors there are dozens of enemy generals with unique attacks, and Hyrule Warriors seems to only have a handful. And once you know how they're beaten, how to put them in that vulnerable state (roll under the Lizardfos's fire, hookshot the shield, throw bombs in the dondongo's mouth, throw the boomerang at the testicles) doesn't that make the game feel repetitive?

I'm still very interested in the game but I'm concerned that I will quickly get bored with it after I unlock all the characters, simply because the game won't feel challenging. And I know there is a harder difficulty, but if the only change is that enemies deal more damage if/when they will actually try to attack you then it's less appealing to me.

(05-01-2015 12:53 AM)VirusZero Wrote:  I do like the fact that the game has local co-op. But it's kinda hindered in that it requires one player to use the TV and the other to use only the tablet controller. (So player 1 using the tablet has only it, there is no option to use split screen on the TV.)

I only have one tablet controller and I don't feel like buying a second one. If I wanted to play co-op with a friend, can I give him the tablet and play using the pro controller? I'm not really clear on if that works.

As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
05-02-2015 10:59 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I haven't tried the hard mode yet. But on normal the mooks don't fight back much. And that's kind of a good thing because if they really fought back you'd be buried in seconds. (In many cases you have anywhere from 40-100 mooks around you at a given time, if they all attacked as hard as they can they'd steam roll you.)
However it's really not the mooks to be worried about, it's the captains and bosses to worry about. I mean you'll tear though hundreds of mooks with ease. But fighting Volga or Wizzro or etc... is a lot harder.

And even if you know the pattern to beat the large bosses that doesn't mean the fight is that much easier. Since in many cases they can't be hurt any other way. And they can take a lot of punishment and/or their attacks can be hard to dodge. (Gohma's horizontal sweeping laser is hard to dodge for one...)

As for variety of enemies, it's both like a regular Dynasty Warriors game and not. I mean other DW games (as far as I'm aware) don't really have boss enemies like Dodonga. They only have an array of named generals (EX- Cao Pi or Sun Ce) with different move sets, captains and normal mooks (with swords or bows) to fight. So they kind of need more generals to make up for it.

But Hyrule Warriors kind of has more variation since there are the large bosses (like Dodonga), generals (like Volga), captains (ex- Bublin Captain), regular mooks and special enemies (like Aeralfos family or Poes).
So while there are only 16 generals (with 4 more as DLC) that can be played as/fought against, it doesn't seem so bad because it's supplemented with the large bosses and special enemies.

Honestly though this may be a case of rent it for a weekend (if there are any places around that still rent out games...) and give it a shot. If you don't care for it that much or you plow through it and get bored in a few days then at least you didn't drop $60 on it.

In regards to multiplayer, yes. You can give them the tablet to use and you can use a pro controller. Additionally there's an option in the menu to choose which player uses which controller. Plus, if memory serves, whichever controller pushes the plus button on the main screen is considered player 1. If they're the tablet user then they get the tablet and player 2 gets the TV. If they're the pro controller then they get the TV and player 2 uses the tablet.

I should note though that there is no real online multiplayer like you pick Link and I pick Sheik and then we go beat a level together or anything like that. This is largely an offline game.

Though I don't think they actually sell the tablet controllers do they? I've never seen one for sale...
05-02-2015 01:08 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
no, they have yet to sell the tablet controllers nor make use of the second tablet feature and don't seem like they will.

I do want to play this game, but for cheap since I don't want to rent it. I keep looking at ebay but most game prices go over $30 which is more than what I will pay.

But if you're looking to sell VZ I'll buy your copy for $15 Tongue

05-04-2015 02:49 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I'm not looking to sell mine. Besides shipping costs to the US are ridiculously stupid. (Things like a case for a phone cost over 15 dollars!)

Though in another bit of Hyrule Warriors news... They're coming out with a 3DS version. (And 2 new characters.)

06-11-2015 07:55 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
I forget you live out of states Tongue

06-16-2015 01:00 AM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
Just happy to say I finally got this game for free! I should be playing it next week hopefully.

07-01-2015 02:30 AM
randomdrifter865 Offline
The Man of Randomness

About Me
Coming from the guy who has played a Dynasty Warriors type games since DW3 on PS2 and got kind of burnt out of it by DW8 w/XL, Warriors Orochi 3 (the final version I hope), Pirate Warriors 2 and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 on the PS3. I've always played these kind of games in spurts for a reason ,but frankly I might consider getting it since a lot of the content is available and Tetra is there because Tetra is probably one of my favorite characters in the Zelda Universe. Still I don't know will Tetra be on the Wii U side or is this exclusively to just the 3DS? Personally if I do Hyrule Warriors I would like all that be on the Wii U. Still I may just wait on this game till then unless because the game did really well a sequel might show up which is a problem with Dynasty Warrior type games in general is when they update to the next version changes are made and often its rather mundane stuff like the Rock Paper Scissors element in DW8 and the inclusion of new characters and some new or old grinding mechanics. Like in the games level cap of 255 or whatever. Thats not to unusual coming out from DW8 w/XL. So for me this might feel same old same old basically.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeRzAV7Ah0[/video]
07-02-2015 03:40 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
I imagine Tetra and the Boat King will be coming to WiiU eventually. Right now they're trying to hold them over our heads and say 'they're exclusive to people who buy both versions guys'. But I'm of the opinion that I have a console version, nothing you say is going to compel me to buy an inferior handheld version. And if enough people refuse to buy it on 3DS they'll eventually realize that they stand to gain more money by just selling them as DLC for the Wii U, they'll just have to accept less money than they would've liked. This sort of exclusive content really rubs me the wrong way, I knew once Nintendo discovered DLC it would take them down a dark road. But just like with Mewtwo in Smash, where they really wanted you to buy both the console and handheld versions of the game, they'll probably end up selling the characters individually in time.

07-02-2015 05:52 PM
randomdrifter865 Offline
The Man of Randomness

About Me
So with Hyrule Warriors Legends out, new characters and a new DLC been announced and of course being able to transfer them over to the Wii U version. At this point in time still burnt out on warriors games right now ,but perhaps with more time more will come and I might as well get all in one swoop. After all with Medli already available and Marin coming soon I am curious to see what other DLC will show up. I am really hoping for some oracles love because after all we got Marin from Link's Awakening why not give us access to at least one of these five characters from those games. Personally, I would love to see Din, Nayru, Ralph and even the Villains of those games like Veran and Onyx granted we need more villains to be playable. Don't get me wrong the villain line up is pretty decent ,but where is Vaati?

Who knows after all we still have more DLC to come this year who would have thought this game set would be so successful spawn so much in almost two to three years when I remember a lot of people just booing the idea because Oh this is made by Tecmo Koei? Oh this will suck blah blah. And here we are now with more stuff, as it stands I am impressed to see this get this far ,but at the same time I am just gonna wait out till I get off this burn I have with warriors games as of late.

03-28-2016 05:35 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I have to admit that I'm surprised they're still making/releasing DLC for this game. I mean it came out back in August 2014 and they're still tossing DLC out. Smash Bros 4 came out a month later and stopped releasing DLC a month sooner.

So I really can't see them releasing too much more DLC for this game.
03-28-2016 06:45 PM
randomdrifter865 Offline
The Man of Randomness

About Me
Yeah and I already the saw the layout for the DLC as it is. They are starting with the Link's Awakening pack and it looks we are getting packs based on Phantom Hourglass, Link Between Worlds and I cannot remember what the fourth is while the Medli character will be free. From what I understand Legends has its own story mode exclusive to the 3DS focusing on the Linkle character and her adventures, which for something Legends I find it odd you cannot combine those elements which I get because the Wii U version and 3DS version are obviously not the same system. Am I gonna assume that stuff will be available later? Well you can sort of is the keyword here. By sort of you can transfer over the characters from Legends for the adventure mode of the Wii U game or you can wait till summer of 2016 to where you can just download them via the Nintendo E shop on your Wii U same with any mentioned packs already mentioned as the months go by this year. So it makes me wonder if 3DS version which is Legends is gonna be boxed somewhat because even the one on the New 3DS its not that great from what I heard they fixed a lot issues with that version for the older 3DS still handles not so great as expected for a game like this on a hand held. Also no Oracles or even Minish Cap.

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 10:13 PM by randomdrifter865.)
03-28-2016 10:11 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
(03-28-2016 06:45 PM)VirusZero Wrote:  I have to admit that I'm surprised they're still making/releasing DLC for this game. I mean it came out back in August 2014 and they're still tossing DLC out. Smash Bros 4 came out a month later and stopped releasing DLC a month sooner.

So I really can't see them releasing too much more DLC for this game.

I think the only reason is the push to sell you the game again but on 3DS. It's the only thing that makes sense, I haven't touched Hyrule Warriors in months.

03-28-2016 10:38 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I guess that could be it.

Similarly I haven't played Hyrule Warriors in a while either. Not because it's not a fun game, but just because I haven't had enough time to really sit down and commit to it. (I mean some rounds in Hyrule Warriors can last 30 minutes easily and I don't want to be trying to rush through a level and die over it. Since then it's both lost time and effort.)
03-28-2016 10:51 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
There really isn't anything to get out of this game though after the first play through. the 3DS port looks nice but apparently its not running very well.

03-29-2016 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Our Affiliates - Affiliate with us!
Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight
We're listed at:
Forum Promotion RPGfix Vote for Endless Fight at Top Site List Planet
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison