Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS
Darc Abyss Offline
Welcome Aboard Cadet

About Me
Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS
So, next installment of SSB. Who else is excited? Cause I am. It's always been a favorite series of mine, from when my friend brought over his copy of Smash Bros for the 64. It's a great game to play alone, but so much better with friends. One of the main drawing points, for me, is the characters. Which makes me want to discuss the newcomers, mainly my opinion of them.

Villager: This was an unusual choice, but I can see how well he fits in. It's almost like a prankster character, sort of like Wario, but less soiled pants. Probably not a character I'd use very often, but probably very powerful in the right hands. Likely very easy to send flying... (Also, acts as the Balloon Fighter character)

Wii Fit Trainer: Didn't see this one coming, but not unwelcome. Seems like she (and he, because apparently there is a Male model) would be a fairly balanced character, probably a bit faster than average. Also likely won't be using her, but might find I'm good as her.

Mega Man: Yes. And a revamped Classic version as well, far more robotic. Definitely seems like an jack of all trades characters, with weapons to suit almost any situation, possibly more powerful than his smallish size lets on. Logically would be quite heavy, and a bit sluggish from what I've seen, but still would be fun to play. Because it's god damn Mega Man.

Rosalina & Luma: A more magic based character, obviously very light, but probably rivals Peach in air control. Reminds me of Viola from Soulcalibur 5, using Luma as a remote controlled weapon. I'd likely try her out for a while, but probably won't be my main. That dress is sooooo pretty, though...

Little Mac: Hell yeah. Seeing him as an Assist Trophy in Brawl made me wonder why he hadn't been made a playable character. And now he is, and he looks pretty bad ass. Fast moving, fast attacking, heavy hitting... poor air game, but I can probably manage that. That Final Smash is pretty epic, and if at all possible, Giga Mac vs Giga Bowser. That should be an event.

I'm curious about what everybody else thinks about the newcomers, but I also want to know what other characters you'd like to see included. I got a few ideas...

Issac or Mathew from Golden Sun series: A swordsman with earth and plant based magic. I think it'd be pretty awesome, and very plausible, with the inclusion of Little Mac. Not sure what his Final Smash would be, possibly Odyssey, one of the more powerful attacks available to Earth Adepts, or Megiddo, an attack sometimes used instead of a regular attack when the Sol Blade is equipped.

Ghirahim from Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword: Creepy magic swordsman, and a villain. We need more villains. Very stylized magic attacks, and fast sword play. Would likely be very light, fast, able to teleport short distances. Imagine an evil, male Zelda... kinda. His Final Smash might be summoning The Imprisoned for an attack or changing to his final battle form, gaining improved speed and attack, kinda like Wario Man. Pretty decent chance, though there are already four LoZ characters.

Luke Fon Fabre/Emil Castagnier/Lloyd Irving from various Tales games: Going with games that have been on Nintendo systems and are fairly recent. Like and Emil would be swordsmen, similar to Ike and Marth, though far from clones. Lloyd would be much faster, and using two swords, attack really fast, focusing on rapid combos but light damage. Their Final Smashes would likely be whatever their signature Mystic Art (or whatever it's called) is. Chances of one of these characters being added is fairly decent, considering Namco/Bandai is helping develop the game.

Something is supposed to go here.
02-26-2014 04:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
RE: Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS
I'm with you on the series, and the importance of characters. That said, I've heard that Smash 4 may not have as many as Brawl did, and that is a huge downer for me. I have an expectation now that the character roster will grow with each installment, and so I'm not as enthused as some for Villager and Ms. Fit, if their inclusion comes at the cost of someone else. Otherwise I'm fine with them, its always interesting to have characters which defy the norm and bring something new.

Megaman I am hugely excited for, his trailer was just pure hype. I hope he's a good character, but good or bad I'm going to play him anyway, I have to show my appreciation for his conclusion. The best thing to happen to Megaman in years and its Nintendo's work, not Capcom. So I'll get good with him and he'll be my secondary pick, if I ever get a fight where my main is horribly countered, Mega looks like a solid backup choice.

Rosalina looks interesting, sort of like a hybrid of the Ice Climbers and Olimar's Pikmin. Probably difficult to master, but at the higher levels I can see her being very good. Not my style either, but I'm alright with her inclusion.

I know a lot of people wanted Little Mac, I'm not super into Punch Out but I know he's a big part of Nintendo's history and he seems to fit in well with the cast. I have two concerns about him though, the fact that several of his moves have Super Armor (which basically means that he doesn't flinch when attacked, he tanks the hits and completes his move regardless) and his instant kill Power Meter move. It looks to me like they borrowed the idea from Playstation All-Stars and once he builds up a meter his next attack is a guaranteed kill. Imo there should be no one hit kills in a fighting game, maybe a one combo kill, where you have to execute a series of moves flawlessly, but not a single blow. I can see Little Mac being overpowered.

Regarding other characters, I'm glad you brought up Isaac, because after Megaman he is the character I've wanted to see most in Smash. To those who don't know him, he looks just like another sword character, and Smash currently is over-saturated with them, but his earth psyenery will set him apart. Little Mac got upgraded from Assist Trophy status, now I want to see Issac. Golden Sun was the best RPG on the GBA and deserves a fighter in this game.

Other people I'd like to see are Hector or Ephriam from Fire Emblem. I like both of them as characters, I find them entertaining and compelling, but most of all, they don't use swords. It'd be interesting to see an axe or lance user make it in. Marth does swords just fine, and as much as I like Lyn and Chrom, we don't need to see another like that. If they want a representative from Awakening, the latest Fire Emblem game I'd like to see the player Avatar, because then we'd have a mage character.

Ghirahim would be good, I'd much rather see another villain than Toon Link.

A lot of people want Ridley, but the common argument is that he is too big, although much like Bowser his size seems to deviate from game to game, I don't see a reason not to make him a fighter, except that he might play like Charizard had. If not Ridley, another bounty hunter from Metroid. My favorite is Rundas, the ice bounty hunter from Metroid Prime 3. Smash doesn't have an ice based attacker yet, Ice Climbers don't count, and he'd bring something new to the cast.

Finally, I'd like to see another DK representative. Dixie Kong would be a good addition to the cast, having been around since DKC2, recently returning in Tropical Freeze.

I'd also like Snake back, and maybe Knuckles, but at this point I see those as unlikely.

For Odin's beer! The finest brew in all of Asgard.
[Image: odinsbeerhalllogo.png][/color]
As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
02-26-2014 01:56 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I get the impression that MegaMan is going to be fairly powerful. His Metal Blade ability I expect to be the bane of many players since in the gameplay demos they've shown so far it acts just like the MM2 version (MM is able to toss it in nearly any direction).

The trainer looks fast, but I don't think she's going to do as much damage as others.

The only character I'd sort of like to see in the game is Geno (Super Mario RPG) but even then it's not something I feel that strongly about.

In terms of SSB4 having fewer characters than Brawl, I'm kind of ok with that if there are more unique characters and less clones.
Sure Toon Link is neat, but it's pretty much just Adult Link... And Ganondorf (can't remember if he was in Brawl or not, pretty sure he was in Melee at least) was pretty much just a slower Captain Falcon.
Marth and Roy are also so close.

Shame they couldn't just have them as like model swaps (sort of how like Samus in Brawl could start with her Zero Suit instead of Power Suit).
02-26-2014 07:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vile Offline
The Baron

About Me
To fallow up on Jet, I want some more inclusions from other series.

In DK, I don't know how I'd feel about Dixie Kong, her gameplay was pure gimic and I had more of a favor to play as Diddy with his cart-wheel-telekinesis-jump. King K Rule would be my choice, or any of his incarnations really. We need a villain from their own title.

This one I feel is a huge long shot, no matter how its cut. Keep in mind I do want to see a new character from every series, not just the few I prefer. Prince Fluff or the Pirate Waddle Dee from Kirby. I was more than stoked, hell I'd say I needed new pants when they announced Dedede. It was awesome enough that Meta Knight was included. Fluff or Waddle dee could have WAY different move sets then the rest of the Kirby gang, and like virus said, I'd rather not have clones. 3 Foxes was enough to make me hate them all equally.

Issac I so want. I've never played Golden Sun, but he looks beyond awesome. Its that perfect fantasy badass look. Plus Fefnir hated that assist trophy, so I'd have reason to play him for giggles Tongue
02-26-2014 10:53 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
If they had made Fox but then had Wolf and Falco as just skin swaps for Fox (graphically different, but functionally the same) and selectable by adding another setting (like maybe when you pick a colour it could have another setting there to pick model too? I dunno) then I think it wouldn't have mattered.

For a Metroid villain to make an appearance, Ridley would probably be the most obvious choice... But I don't really care if they do that. Ridley's model would have to be shrunk in order to really fit in and fight (otherwise it's a giant ass dragon sitting above the battlefield dropping fireballs or whatever).

Also, I'd love to see the Big Blue level from Melee return. I loved that level (kickass theme to go with the tense fighting as the ground shifted).
02-26-2014 11:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darc Abyss Offline
Welcome Aboard Cadet

About Me
For a new Fire Emblem character, Chrom is most likely to replace Ike. He's pretty bad ass in the game, once he gets to a high enough level, but so can any character as you can reclass and reset levels almost freely, with the majority of stats being kept. I'd like to see Avatar, especially if you could use your character in the 3DS version. Various magics with a bit of sword play for close combat would be a nice addition.

As for Little Mac, his power meter is from Super Punch out, where you had to keep hitting the enemy without being hit yourself to build up the bar and use the KO punch. Imagine the opposite of Lucario, where NOT getting hit at all is best. I'm assuming his super armor is a one time thing per attack, where he gets hit once, ignores it, hit again, flinches. It's also possible it's only used for Smash Attacks or Special moves, not the really rapid punches.

Geno would be nice, but considering he was in one game, his inclusion as a playable character is pretty slim. A possible assist trophy, though.

Ridley also seems somewhat unlikely, despite frequent fan requests. I would think of him as a combination of Charizard and Bowser, though lighter than both. I think it would nice to have more villains.

I'd prefer if they kept Wolf in. His specials and Final Smash were similar to Fox, but most of his attacks and movements were widely different, opting for heavy strikes and a low stance. Just a few tweaks to his specials and FS, and he'd no longer be a clone. Same with Falco, make him a more aerodynamic character built around launching and juggling the enemy.

If they do include Ganondorf again (Who was in Brawl), they need to actually give him his own moveset. Not be a heavy clone of Captain Falcon. He has swords. Use them. He has magic. Use it. And in Wind Waker, he had a pretty good pimp slap. Definitely use that.

As for the amount of characters, Sakurai mentioned that the total amount of characters are the same as the Wii U version, which when I heard, I thought of Brawl. I'm going to assume there will be more characters, as we're at 24 revealed characters already, with Brawl having 37. We can safely assume Yoshi, Ness, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus, and likely Sheik will be in as well, so we're up to 30. (I'm aware Sheik and ZS Samus are alternate forms for existing chracters, but they are counted.) I have a feeling we'll have roughly 40 characters in the end.

02-27-2014 06:41 PM
Silver Stryker Offline
Stone Cold

About Me
I entered this thread too fast and the first thing I saw was

Quote:and maybe Knuckles

I almost cried 'n died of joy. My weekend is already ruined.

Anyways. I preordered from Amazon back a Christmas, so I'm so ready for this game right now. It'll be a good reason to pull my WiiU out of the damn closet. (Monster Hunter Ultimate is no good without friends, I've come to find out.) I'm so glad for Rockman, even though I still wish it were X--hey, the grass is greener, right?--and I also wish Knuckles could've followed up with Sonic. Doesn't matter what company you work for, looking at Knuckles and concluding that he doesn't need to be in a fighting game is just plain asinine. I mean really, why would you-----count to ten, Stryker, count to ten.

Also, Wailord needs to be in a pokeball, wrecking everybody's game up. Now that I think about it, eeew. They're probably gonna have all types of pokemon I never even heard of. I never played black/white or X/Y. So......yea.

Knuckles better bean assist.

[Image: Silv3r%20Stryker.jpg]
02-27-2014 10:50 PM
Vile Offline
The Baron

About Me
I would love for Galvantula to make it in a pokeball. Knowing my luck though none of the cool bugs I love will make it in D:
03-01-2014 12:19 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I'd have loved to see X here also... X series doesn't get nearly enough love compared to the classic series.

I could also see Knuckles adding some variation to the game. I'd love to see his Glide attack worked in. Maybe have him toss boulders at opponents (forward+special), dig into the ground and pop up from under them(down+special), Shovel-claw punch (special), shoryuken (maybe up+special).

In terms of pokemon, please get rid of the useless one like Goldeen (or whatever replaced it in later games).

Geno, despite how much people want him in the game, probably won't appear in any capacity because he's actually owned by Square-Enix.

For Falco, Fox and Wolf... If they were model swaps with maybe some slight stat adjustments (so Wolf would be slower but more powerful and maybe Falco would be able to jump higher/farther and be stronger in the air) that'd be fine provided they still only really counted for one character.
03-01-2014 05:02 PM
Darc Abyss Offline
Welcome Aboard Cadet

About Me
X would have been nice, but I think Classic is more easily recognizable. Also, I'd be perfectly fine with Bass being in there, and acting as a clone. Or an alternate skin.

Knuckles is kind of tricky right now. From what I've seen, Sonic is his most modern version before Sonic Boom, but they might change that. Either version of Knuckles works, and he certainly would be an interesting character. Heavy striking, able to glide, cling to walls, obviously slower than Sonic (probably as fast as Mario)

As for Pokeballs, it'd be nice if they finally changed Goldeen to Magikarp, because he's the useless one. I'd prefer to keep it in there, because nothing is more satisfying than your opponent depending on a good Pokemon to make a comeback, only to hear "Goldeen!" Even when it happens to me, I just laugh. Wonder how many X and Y types there will be.... Two I think would be interesting are Xerneas and Yveltal, the mascot legendaries for X and Y. Xerneas would cause a slow heal for all players, while Yveltal would slowly cause damage, like Lip's Stick.

I really don't see Square Enix letting Geno into Brawl... They've heard the demand for a remake of FF7, and their response? "Here, have a third Final Fantasy XIII."

I just think for Fox, Falco, and Wolf, a pretty much total overhaul on their (Falco and Wolf's) movesets would be best. Star Fox could use some representing, and we need as many villains as we can get. Also, they could replace Falco with Krystal, who'd be vastly different. She did take his place for a while in the games. It'd be a fun little reference.

Oh, and random fact: Roy actually first appeared in Smash Bros Melee (2001). Before his own Japanese exclusive game, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (2002), was released. Melee even reached North America before his own game hit the shelves.

03-02-2014 04:43 AM
randomdrifter865 Offline
The Man of Randomness

About Me
I honestly would prefer classic over x for smash any day. Seeing Classic series Megaman for smash. I tell you what I was the happiest man that day because now I can finally fire lemons at Mario, my dream came true.

I love X too ,but without classic we wouldn't have X and any other series after now would we? So to me he's earned that spot well and he does have quite a history for Nintendo as most megaman games appeared for their platforms. Most significantly the handhelds in recent years ,but for other appearances Megaman has't seen a home platform since the downloadable market in 2010/2011 I forget.

Now all we need is Simon Belmont now good old Simon not the recent changes because that would be the bee's knees for me. If you are wondering by recent I am not fond of the recent castlevania series and yes I tried the first one and honestly just don't care for it. And besides for Smash it would have to be classic Simon. I know there hasn't much want for the original whipper ,but I'd love to see that.

Ridley ei? To be honest the size scaling is just a dumb point because really if Bowser's size has never been the same I honestly don't see a problem if he was put into smash. If anything I think he would be a great assist or stage hazard though raining his trademark fireballs granted I still have yet to play a metroid game ,but I do know what he is or it is... And for that matter does seeing as he's been in almost every metroid game with the exception of the one for gameboy I believe.

As for Knuckles... I still want to play as that character ,but Sega refuses going out of their way to make him playable with the exception of the recently announced sonic boom ,but that's because its not being made by Sega at least full hardy from my understanding. Knuckles is probably my second favorite character in the sonic universe after Tails. Yes I am weird. I think they fear Sonic 06 if they do that again, but mind you when a true sonic adventure 3 is made not saying sonic boom wouldn't fit the bill ,but if it does really well which I hope it does.

Then there is whole love for Geno. I honestly I am in the middle on this it be nice to see him ,but at the same time I just see no point he may have had a hand in the beloved game known as Super Mario RPG and all ,but that was one game and since then he has maybe one cameo in one of the other mario esque RPG's and since so far Squenix hasn't used that character and honestly I think they could care less. A lot of people may have forgiven them for finally getting over their whole ff versus 13 becoming ff15 and all ,but people they will do this again in the future its only a matter of time and it will repeat.

Anyways getting off that tangent Geno is a neat character and is defently a favorite character ,but since he is a property of squares that would mean Square would need to be involved and since Square doesn't like money thats not gonna happen. If it does hey I am proved wrong and besides that means another introduction of a third party pseudo character. And smash really does need more newcomers to the fray. We may have Megaman, Little Mac, The Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina and Luma ,but I want more bodies to shoot Lemons at!

You have no idea how fun that is going to be for me firing lemons at people! Big Grin Anyways all caught up on my thoughts for this game.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeRzAV7Ah0[/video]
03-02-2014 07:10 AM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
(03-02-2014 04:43 AM)Darc Abyss Wrote:  X would have been nice, but I think Classic is more easily recognizable. Also, I'd be perfectly fine with Bass being in there, and acting as a clone. Or an alternate skin.

Knuckles is kind of tricky right now. From what I've seen, Sonic is his most modern version before Sonic Boom, but they might change that. Either version of Knuckles works, and he certainly would be an interesting character. Heavy striking, able to glide, cling to walls, obviously slower than Sonic (probably as fast as Mario)

I just think for Fox, Falco, and Wolf, a pretty much total overhaul on their (Falco and Wolf's) movesets would be best. Star Fox could use some representing, and we need as many villains as we can get. Also, they could replace Falco with Krystal, who'd be vastly different. She did take his place for a while in the games. It'd be a fun little reference.

Oh, and random fact: Roy actually first appeared in Smash Bros Melee (2001). Before his own Japanese exclusive game, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (2002), was released. Melee even reached North America before his own game hit the shelves.

I hope they do more with alternate skins the way Wario had two options in Brawl. And Link had a Dark Link variant, they should do that with Samus so people don't continue to beg for Dark Samus to be her own character. Megaman could easily have Protoman or Bass alt designs playing the exact same way, and if Capcom isn't a dick I'm sure one of the two will be an Assist Trophy.

Knuckles is the only other character I'd like to see from Sonic. Shadow and Silver can be alt character designs, they don't need to have a character slot. But as Stryker said, Knuckles was made to be a fighting game character. I'd like to see him and Little Mac have a boxing match actually.

I'm not particularly fond of the character Krystal, but she would be a departure from the blaster archetype, heavy emphasis on her staff. I'd like to see Falco return with a more heavily modified moveset, but if Wolf became an alt skin for Fox I wouldn't care. I know we need more villains, but we need to get away from the clone archetype. Gannondorf better bring his damn sword this time.

I'm aware that Roy's inclusion in Melee predated his games being released in North America, in fact, its likely due to his and Marth's popularity in Smash that Fire Emblem was even brought to NA in the first place. Which I'm glad for, I love FE. But Smash has a way of highlighting characters many people didn't previously know about and bringing them back into public light. When Smash 64 came out I had no idea who Ness, Falcon or Samus were, and its due in large part to their inclusion that they got the chance to star in later games. Metroid Prime might not exist if it were not for Smash. That said, I really want Isaac to make it as a playable character, because if I want any non Megaman series to be continued, its Golden Sun. Just a shame the DS version didn't do as well as the GBA titles.

As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
03-02-2014 09:12 PM
Darc Abyss Offline
Welcome Aboard Cadet

About Me
Don't know why, but Simon Belmont slipped my mind. I enjoy the Castlevania series, even the Lords of Shadow reboot series. He's from a side scrolling game, with multiple abilities available to him from throughout the series, and he has a whip, which isn't a sword, which is an automatic plus. His subweapons would be good special abilities as well. Like: B: Dagger, <>B: Cross, vB: Holy Water, ^B: Uppercut. Or something along those lines.

Not sure how many more characters there are that would have a good chance to get in. Chrono would be nice to have, to bring some attention back to Chrono Trigger, but Square Enix again.

03-03-2014 08:28 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I'm sort of surprised that SE wouldn't want to get in on this... I mean any money for them would be good right? Since last I heard they were looking for more ways to make cash and cut corners. So they must be pretty desperate for money. (To the point they were claiming disc base sales "killed" them.)

Though they may not want to since then it'd mean there might be pressure on them to make (another) Chrono Trigger sequel.
03-04-2014 03:39 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Update time...

Nintendo posted a few more details about SSB4 through a new Nintendo Direct.

Stage wise:
- Stages from past games are returning (some will be specific to each version).

- 3DS stages only have 2 themes, U version stages have multiple with music selection option.

- Every stage has a Final Destination version (with no platforms or interactive stuff) for use in For Glory mode.

2 new modes for online:
- For Glory mode - an online only mode that is Final Destination version of stages, no items, wins/losses counted.
- For Fun mode - online only mode where stages are picked at random, all items enabled, only wins counted.

Characters:
- Zero Suit Samus and Shiek are separate playable characters now (no form switching). Each has new attacks to compensate. (With Zero Suit Samus getting jet boots. Haloid anyone?)

- Yoshi is back.

- Lucario is back and has a Mega-evolution. (Lucario's aura attacks are stronger than before and in Mega form are even more powerful.)

- Charizard is a playable character.

- Greninja is a playable character.

- Megaman's final smash.
Spoiler:
[Image: MegamanFinalSmash2.png]

Misc:
-3DS gets a special mode (Smash Rush) where players get 5 minutes to collect stat boosts before they fight.

- 3DS version is coming in summer 2014 and the U version is coming in winter 2014.

There's probably more, but that's the gist.
04-08-2014 10:27 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
Dat megaman finisher! Perfect for what will surely be an over powered character.

I'm not happy about the Wii U release date, given it's current date I most likely won't be getting into this game till next year.

Gamingforce - Daily video game news and game console news.
04-09-2014 01:10 AM
Silver Stryker Offline
Stone Cold

About Me
WINTER?!?!?!

I hate how amazon lets you pre-order things just because a game is in development. I'm over here feelin like I was supposed to have this at like, Jan-Feb...

Oh well. I get a new desktop screen image out of it!

[Image: Silv3r%20Stryker.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 11:10 PM by Silver Stryker.)
04-09-2014 11:10 PM
Vile Offline
The Baron

About Me
You missed Elecman being an assist trophy. Tongue

Overall I am becoming more and more excited. I cannot wait to get me a Wii U for this amazing title
04-09-2014 11:56 PM
Darc Abyss Offline
Welcome Aboard Cadet

About Me
Been away for a bit, got a job, it sucks due to understaffing, etc...

Anyway, there have been a few new characters announced.

Mii Fighters: This is excellent. Now if people want to play as Naruto or Morgan Freeman, they can! I like the option to be Brawler, Swordsman, or Gunner as well. Want Walter White to beat the crap out of Mario? Done. Want Hitler to have an epic sword duel with Ike? Got it. Want Benedict Cumberbatch to shoot Diddy Kong point blank? Go for it. I've heard that Mii Fighters won't be usable in online play, but I'm hoping it's just custom Miis. I would think the stock male and female Mii would be usable.

Palutena: Didn't see this one coming. Or her moveset. She uses the powers that you can equip in Kid Icarus Uprising, like Mega Laser or Angelic Missile. Could be an interesting character, and apparently quite powerful. She is a goddess, so... yeah. (Seems a bit like cheating.)

Pac-Man: A kind of awesome "wut" character. His move set is weird, though... He spawns a fire hydrant for some attack. Should be a fun character.

Lucina: I was wondering why they weren't using the Awakening version of Marth, and now I know. She seems like a more agile sword fighter, from what little I've seen. Good addition, but I think the major focus of the video released today is...

Robin: The Strategist from Awakening shows up, tome and blade in hand. And just like in the games, the magic tomes, and probably the swords, only have so many uses. The reason this hasn't applied to the other FE characters is due to them all wielding legendary, plot important weapons. Also, the female version is available as well.

Chrom: Added at the last second in the video, didn't see much of what he can do. Want to see how he compares to Ike and Marth.

Captain Falcon: We all knew he'd be in. This video just confirmed it, in a suitably epic way.

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/reflet.html

07-14-2014 12:39 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
Okay to dissect that trailer:

Glad Falcon got confirmed finally so all the nerds can stop worrying about him. Shame we didn't get to see any gameplay of him showing his moves, I hope he returns to the level of awesomeness he was in Melee rather than the joke from Brawl.

Lucina... she looks exactly like Marth. Only Marth looks more feminine than she does. But their moves look so similar I'm upset that they gave her a character slot when she could've just been an alt costume for Marth. I didn't want Chrom, but at least he would've struck a balance between Marth's speed and Ike's power. But it looks like Chrom will get stuck being Avatar's (Robin) Final Smash.

The Awakening Avatar, Tactician, (Robin) really stole the show here. I'm sad because this probably means I won't get Isaac, too many sword users now, but at the same time the Tactician looks close to what I wanted, some kind of magic using swordsman. It'll be interesting to see how his Tomes work, it sounds like he discards them after a set number of uses. Do they replenish every stock? How will his moveset change after he runs out of magic? After Palutena, he's probably the new character I want to try most (excepting Megaman as I've gotten to play him already).

I kind of like how Nintendo is making the characters more customizable, they're really trying to get the female gamers on board making so many of the characters available in both genders. Now there's the Tactician, the Villager, Fit Trainer and the Mii Fighters.

--------------------------
Edit: I just realized I never posted my analysis of the demo I got to play on June 11. If anyone is curious, the following are my thoughts from that day.
--------------------------

have returned from my trip to Best Buy. I waited in line for 3 hours, and eventually got to play the game. The matches were 4 v 4 with items on low, no stock, with a four minute timer. Each person got to play two matches before being sent to the back of the line, so I got to try out two characters, Megaman and Zero Suit Samus.

My match with Megaman did not go as well as I'd hoped. To be honest I think he needs a little bit of a buff, he feels a little on the weak side right now. He moves and plays exactly like Megaman does on the gameboy or NES, he is very slow and not maneuverable, and I had this frigging Kirby which was always in my face and I couldn't do much to get away. And in the chaos of a four person Brawl with items on, Mega was getting hit hard from every side and couldn't evade as well as most of the other characters. Maybe he'll do better in a 1v1 but with so much going on he felt weak. I did nail a Greninja with a forward smash though, his fully charged buster shot went between the Yellow Devil's legs and managed to hit the frog from about half screen, which was great. His forward air, the flame sword comes out decently fast, but it has little knockback so even though I'd hit someone they could respond immediately with their forward air and hit me back. He has poor recovery, Rush spring sends you straight up but after that all you can do is fall. Many other characters have a side B which allows them to get a little bit closer to the stage, but Megaman just has a vertical boost, which I really don't think is enough. One thing I did enjoy, and also abuse, was the Leaf Shield. With the leaves up I can run in and attack like normal, and the twirling leaves will put percentage on the opponent even if I'm getting attacked, and I suspect it'll make me harder to grab. I got second place, losing to a Kirby but beating a Little Mac and Greninja.

My second match I picked Zero Suit, as I wanted a closer look at her rework. I never really liked her in Brawl, but she felt surprisingly good. She is fast on the ground, has good spacing with her whip, and is surprisingly powerful. Her forward smash isn't the whip anymore, it is two kicks with her flame boots, and it does good damage and knockback. That time I won, beating out the same Kirby player in a sudden death.

Now the controller they had us using felt really awkward, and I did not like the button layout at all. No one really tried grabbing in my matches because of the button layout, but I'm sure that once I get to use a gamecube controller and if they allow me to button map like they did in Brawl, that it'll fix the issue.

Now I also got to play the 3DS version, surprisingly enough, while waiting in line. There was an employee with 2 DSs tethered to her. It only had one mode available, that maze you run around in for 5 minutes to power up, and then you'd fight for a minute after that using your enhanced stats. I picked Sheik for this, since she was my main in Melee and I knew she wasn't on the Wii U demo. Sheik felt pretty good, but the controls on the DS didn't feel good at all, and I may reconsider buying it on the handheld. Anyway, I didn't end up liking this mode very much, I actually got too many speed enhancements and Sheik became difficult to control, kind of like Sonic in Brawl. The match itself was essentially a sudden death, everyone was so powerful that even basic attacks like Sheik's dash or forward tilt would kill people. It was kind of fun, but I probably won't play this mode very much. Then again, kids and casuals might live it, the maze was very much like the Subspace adventure mode in game's past, fun variety of enemies, though a lot of chaos going on for the little handheld. At some point I picked up a fire flower without meaning to, and had no idea for about ten seconds why my character wasn't using her dash attack right, then I finally figured out I had an item and fumbled with the controls so that I could drop it. Then I accidentally picked it right back up. Maybe some more time will help me get used to it, but I personally had a really hard time playing well on the 3DS.

All in all, very fun, I want to play more, but I don't think I will go back on Saturday. It was a really long wait, and I expect things will be even more crowded then. If any of you go, bring your gameboy to play, use the bathroom beforehand, and maybe bring food and water. Someone's friend brought them Subway while I was there, made them the envy of everyone else.

Of note, they had a different character select screen than the one we were speculating about last page. I know they just had a demo version, but I was hoping I could confirm the character count, three rows of seventeen with my own eyes.

I watched some other people play after that. The heavies like DK and Bowser both look better. Little Mac, Miss Fit and Kirby seem particularly strong. Mario seems a little stronger than in Brawl. Got some stickers, a button and a lanyard for my time. Let me know how your experiences went, and if you couldn't go I'll answer questions as best as I can.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 07:21 PM by Jet.)
07-14-2014 07:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Our Affiliates - Affiliate with us!
Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight
We're listed at:
Forum Promotion RPGfix Vote for Endless Fight at Top Site List Planet
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison