Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why digital download is just a dream
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Why digital download is just a dream
Digital distribution, to some, sounds like a great idea. No more discs, easy to switch games on the fly and quicker load times with no waiting on an optical drive.

But digital distribution has some flaws preventing it from ever really making it viable. Namely that the internet connection speed necessary to download games just isn't quick enough as games have ballooned in size. (From an average of 8-9GB on 7th gen to upwards of 30GB in the 8th gen.) And with average internet speeds staying around 8mbps... it'd take up to 14 hours to download one those 30+ GB games.
Plus as the generation goes on games will likely increase in size even further. While internet speeds will, again, struggle to catch up.

Source
04-30-2014 10:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
RE: Why digital download is just a dream
I've been saying this for awhile, we're in that grey area where digital download works but it won't be long till we go into the red and it kills it's self.

I think the current disc media will end and what we will get instead is either install discs or USB or whatever small media format that would be cheaper to make just to get the game installed. It would be like buying a software.

I know to download a 4k movie is like 100 GB and I think the only internet that can support that is Google's up coming internet but it's unknown if that will become main stream.

Gamingforce - Daily video game news and game console news.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 01:41 AM by Demon_skeith.)
05-02-2014 01:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DamascaRamza Offline
Gotta Catch 'em All

About Me
The top speed in most of Australia is 20-30 MBPs and you'll rarely get that. Some areas due to the now murdered by corrupt conservatives in power National Broadband Network can get up to 100 MBPs, but not everywhere can and even if all of Australia got 100 MBPs all the time, that still wouldn't be enough for digital gaming downloads.

[Image: DanteSig.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 07:10 AM by DamascaRamza.)
05-03-2014 07:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Stryker Offline
Stone Cold

About Me
So Not even if fiber-optics can support digital distribution? You'll have to forgive me for not fully understanding MB transfer speed, what's usually the norm as far as downloading goes, and whatnot.

[Image: Silv3r%20Stryker.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 07:39 AM by Silver Stryker.)
05-03-2014 07:39 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Traditionally speeds for internet are given in Megabits per second (Mbps).
1 Megabit = 1/8th a Megabyte (or 128 kilobytes per second).
So a speed like 20Mbps is actually only about 2.56 Megabytes per second at most.

As for why they do this... My guess is that saying 20Mbps sounds better for advertising than 2.5MB per second. (Even though they're both the same thing.) Sort of like how when advertising for a price of something they say like $9.99 rather than $10. This way it's under 10 (even though by the time tax gets added it usually goes over that).

Fiber optics can go much quicker... But in heavily populated areas they tend to impose caps on how much you can actually transfer. So even though you my have a speed of like 80mbps you may only be able to transfer 300-400 Gigabytes before they either cut you off or you start having to pay massive fees. (By transfer, I mean upload or download. So if you use Skype, which uses P2P, and you don't pay attention to it... it could eat your bandwidth allotment.)

Furthermore not every location has access to fibre op internet. I mean we only got ours last year and other locations around are still playing catch up. To make things worse there are many places that might not get any level of high speed due to remote location coupled with few customers making it not worth the time/effort/cost to bring high speed out for them. (Or if they do get high speed, it'll take a very long time.)

And like mentioned in the opening post, the US average speed is 8Mbps (or 1 Megabyte per second). Which to download a 7-11 GB game still takes a while. But a 30GB game?
And unfortunately plenty of games are going to be much larger. And as the gen goes on and they figure out how to improve visual and whatnot game sizes are only going to balloon. (The PS4/Xbox one, if memory serves, are both capable of reading multiple layer discs. So a blu-ray might be able to hold up to 100GB of data if it has 4 layers. Even PS3 was able to read multi-layer discs... It just never needed to go beyond 2 layers. But the PS4/Xbox one may need to.)
05-03-2014 01:22 PM
ThatAnimeGuy Offline
Konami code

About Me
I've been seeing crazy Internet speeds from people with Google Fiber (I think that's the one) in the US. I wouldn't be surprised to see other ISPs trying to compete with them and increase their speeds for a competitive rate.

I like the idea of digital downloads because you don't have to leave your house to get a game on release and you can just download and play at midnight (no sleeping, waiting to wake up then waiting again to drive to a store to reach home to play). So I hope many future consoles offer the option.

People like collecting boxes after purchasing their games so I don't expect to see physical releases stopping anytime soon.
08-21-2016 09:34 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Most ISPs aren't really trying to up their speed that much. (Some campaigned against raising the minimum speed to qualify as high speed.) They want things to stay as they are, slower and with tiny data caps (because it makes them money). Giving away higher speed means they have to dump so much money into infrastructure to power it that their profits are affected.

Having games digitally is ok, but I don't like the idea that at a whim they can remove games you've paid for from you. (We've seen it happen a number of times now on XBL and Steam.)
08-21-2016 10:05 AM
ThatAnimeGuy Offline
Konami code

About Me
(08-21-2016 10:05 AM)VirusZero Wrote:  Having games digitally is ok, but I don't like the idea that at a whim they can remove games you've paid for from you. (We've seen it happen a number of times now on XBL and Steam.)

But isn't there a good reason behind it? Like breaking Steam's terms when purchasing a Russian key for an extremely cheap price or hacking multiplayer lobbies.
08-22-2016 11:22 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Sometimes there are good reasons, but other times there have not been.

Consider the case of Too Human on Xbox 360. Digital copies of it were deleted from user's hard drives after they were bought because the company lost a lawsuit. Alternatively consider Square-Enix's case with Order of War. These aren't really the only cases either, they're just larger ones that people are more likely to have heard of.

Don't get me wrong, someone who's cheating online should be banned. No qualms there.
08-22-2016 08:50 PM
Vile Offline
The Baron

About Me
I also prefer physical copies.

Similar to what Virus said above, in the event of my system getting fried, red ringed, or insert random defect here, I potentially lose my games. Likewise, most require an internet connection which I think is crap. I play DBZ Xeroverse offline just so I can ignore the lag due to large player usage.

As well, if a game gets removed as VZ stated, owning a game that had limited print and will never see print again, becomes incredibly valuable. It is always a good idea to buy things you enjoy, but if what you enjoy ends up becoming a gem, so be it. Whoever opened a Black Lotus MTG card is lucky, was simply buying a game they enjoyed, and now have a fortune in the form of cardboard.
08-23-2016 12:25 AM
randomdrifter865 Offline
The Man of Randomness

About Me
Honestly it depends on the situation for me, I have no problem with digital downloads ,but I can see where the problems could be like the mentioned examples thus far, but from a person who understands how looking for something old means nearly paying the big bucks. Yeah the digital download sounds better when saving your piggy bank. Personally if it is something I cannot find and all options lead too I have to pay nearly $200 for an old PlayStation game that is in a used condition or crappy, says please get the digital download because $200 might as well say to me the case is not cracked, the disk has no scratches and the booklet and game artwork are awesome looking, but no its only the used condition.

Do you wanna know how much the game I am looking for costs not opened? Almost $600 or more because this game only had a very limited release was from a franchise that isn't that well known and is considered somewhat obscure ,but only the first game of the series is currently available on the PS3 PSN Store. That my friends is Suikoden II the one game I have been waiting for to get a digital release because I am not willing to pay those absurd prices. Plus it is not helping me when Konami is eating a bag of dicks right now and could care less if that series made it back from the dead even though there were 5 to 6 games in the series that started on PS1 and ended on the PS2 and maybe one to two spin offs.

But to be fair this isn't a more modern game example this is more of the old game that get its prices bumped to absurd levels because its is a very hard to find. Perhaps one day I may change my tune and accept that fine to get my holy grail of gaming.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeRzAV7Ah0[/video]
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2016 03:22 AM by randomdrifter865.)
08-23-2016 03:18 AM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
(08-22-2016 08:50 PM)VirusZero Wrote:  Sometimes there are good reasons, but other times there have not been.

Consider the case of Too Human on Xbox 360. Digital copies of it were deleted from user's hard drives after they were bought because the company lost a lawsuit. Alternatively consider Square-Enix's case with Order of War. These aren't really the only cases either, they're just larger ones that people are more likely to have heard of.

That sounds like more of an online feature issue than the game being a digital download. Same could be said for the disc by inserting, console does an online check and ejects the disc saying its no longer valid.

Gamingforce - Daily video game news and game console news.
08-25-2016 11:51 PM
Luki80 Offline
Welcome Aboard Cadet

About Me
There is another problem, i have download speed about 1.7mb but minimum once for one hour connection is dropped.
Physical copies is physical copie Smile
08-31-2016 05:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison