Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April 9th 2014 outage
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
April 9th 2014 outage
The server went down today for approximately 5 hours.

I have no idea why it went offline. (It was something that happened at our host level, their entire network was down.)

This was the first time something like this happened in the nearly 2 years I've been using this host, so it is definitely strange. I would ask that, at least for the next few days, for everyone to keep an eye out to make sure the server is stable and our data is intact. (So no corruptions due to server chaos.)
If you find anything that seems out of order, please let me know.

For in the future, if the site goes down again (I hope not), I've set our old Jcink forum up to use as a rally point. Users can log in and post questions to there regarding the status of our main forum at Endlessfight.net

You can use the old url(s):
endlessfight.b1.jcink.com
endlessfight.jcink.net
endlessfight.jfbs.net

Or if you want to keep using the endlessfight.net domain...
jfh.endlessfight.net

The reason for multiple TLDs here is to help users determine if the server is out or if our DNS provider (namecheap) is having an issue.
Since if namecheap is having the issue, none of the endlessfight.net domains will work. But if it's our server then jfh.endlessfight.net will function properly.

I am also likely going to look into setting up a Pingdom account in order to more effectively monitor our uptime. (So I'll know exactly when the site goes offline and how long it stays offline.)
04-09-2014 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
RE: April 9th 2014 outage
Just for a bit of an explanation of what happened here... This is a reply to the email I sent (which opened a support ticket under my account).

Quote:We were deliberately put under attack by spam bots and in order to prevent any damage we had to temporarily turn off our NYC server. I believe an email was sent out but since our mail system is hosted on our NYC server, the email never reached anywhere. However, this was a rare, unexpected and emergency situation, and we're currently deploying our spam filter policies server-wide to prevent future similar events.

We also had to sort through 100s of tickets submitted by spambots, which is why it has taken longer than usual to get back to your ticket. I sincerely apologize for the late reply.

And I employ my apologies for the unexpected downtime and if there is any questions you have or anything we can help you with, please let me know!

Essentially someone decided it'd be fun to spam them. (Must have been a pretty heavy spam attack for them to shut the server down...)

But at least it's good to know they're taking steps to ensure this won't happen again.
04-12-2014 08:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison