Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free HTTPS certification in Summer 2015
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Free HTTPS certification in Summer 2015
HTTPS is a powerful encryption system used by websites to prevent unauthorized users from being able to gain access. (So no more Verizon or Comcast peeking into what you're browsing.) Or to stop other sites from trying to spoof them.
Spoiler:
So this way you don't have Hacker Joe set up amazin.tld to look exactly like amazon. Then create his own, self signed, certification claiming to be amazon (or even an authorized subsidiary thereof). So that people would sign in and enter their account details. Which would then allow Hacker Joe to steal from them.

Currently this is only used on larger sites like Google or Amazon. Smaller sites typically don't use https because of how expensive getting a certificate is. Certification from a reputable source costs over a thousand dollars per year. (Most small sites don't have that level of disposable cash.)

But now Mozilla (creators of Firefox) and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) have teamed up to create a new service called Let's Encrypt that plans to offer free encryption for all domain owners.

Source

Admittedly this looks tempting and I'm watching this pretty closely. If it works out I may very well implement it here... (So next summer you might sign in and see https in the url bar.)
11-25-2014 11:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
RE: Free HTTPS certification in Summer 2015
so the question is, is HTTPS cost that much to actually do, or since they only offered it they could charge that much?

Gamingforce - Daily video game news and game console news.
11-28-2014 02:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
randomdrifter865 Offline
The Man of Randomness

About Me
If it helps you out and will improve protection of whatever it is and make it more private. I'd appreciate it, if not heck still come in and check in.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeRzAV7Ah0[/video]
11-29-2014 06:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
DS, I think it cost so much because they could get away with it. I mean the certification aspect takes little effort really.

(Though the high cost of them I would hope is for really large or high volume sites. I would hope that smaller sites wouldn't be paying that much. Otherwise why would Namecheap offer SSL, which is what's needed for "https" for like $10 per year? Though I think the article which I referenced when I wrote my post was only considering those larger sites.)

Random, this probably wouldn't make things much more private since a lot of what we post is public anyway. (Though for any sections that are private, I would hope everyone would be more comfortable knowing that only those who are supposed to have access actually can.)

But it'd make this site a lot safer for users because we'd be far less of a target. (We'd be even less tempting of a target because aside from not dealing with money and being relatively small, we'd also have protection to ensure messing with us isn't worth the trouble.)
12-01-2014 02:33 PM
Demon_skeith Offline
Veteran poster

About Me
That's what I'm saying, they charge so much because there isn't other sellers.

Gamingforce - Daily video game news and game console news.
12-12-2014 03:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison