Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Story] Megaman X - Darkest Night
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Megaman X - Darkest Night
X stared at his former mentor, his eyes wide. The low hum of a beam saber crackled against the still of the air. A wide smile erupted across Sigma's face. He'd managed it after all these years. X's eyes began to dim as his power core shut down. The beam saber having pierced directly through it and out his back. With a rough yank, Sigma pulled his saber out of X's chest and turned to walk away. X's power core had been compromised and a chain reaction had begun. A few seconds later X's body exploded with the force of a bomb, sending shrapnel clanging all over the battlefield. Little remained of the former hero.

A few pieces landed a short piece in front of Sigma. He recognised the chip instantly... X's control chip. A necessary component if they were to ever rebuild X. With a hearty laugh he dropped his heavy boot upon that chip and crushed it into the ground. The chip shattered into a dozen pieces.
"You were a worthy opponent X. But in the end... My victory was assured. You just didn't have what it takes to win." Sigma stated to himself.

In another room, Zero was chained up watching the fight. His armour was dented, broken and smouldering in places. Vile stood off to the side, he had watched X's defeat with both glee and rage. He had wanted to be the one to kill X. But he had Zero and that was going to have to be enough. With a maniacal laugh he punched Zero in the chest again. A loud cracking noise erupted as pieces of armour broke away.
"Now THAT's the sound I like to hear." Vile shouted.
"Now, how about we get some screams here too. That's make a nice sound also wouldn't it?" And with that he lowered his cannon and unloaded a weak electrical shot directly into Zero's chest.
"AAARGH" Zero yelled, trying to suppress a scream and resist giving Vile what he wanted.
"Oh, come now. Don't be that way Zero." Vile mocked.
"Don't worry though, we have all night and I'm only just getting started."

OOC: Appropriate music for this scene is
Spoiler:

In case youtube removes it again the track name is: Dragonball Z OST track 33 - Goodbye Son Goku.

IN:
Soon after Sigma had defeated X, he released a world wide broadcast.
"People of Earth. Your Champion... MegaMan X... has fallen to me. The Maverick Hunters pose no threat to me or my forces anymore. I encourage all reploids at this point to think of their loyalties and where they stand. You can stand with me or you can join X in his fate. As for you humans... I'm coming. To be generous though, I'll give you 24 hours, since I'm in a good mood. Then I begin remaking this world into a perfect utopia for all reploid kind!"

Over at Hunter HQ, Signas stood quiet for several moments after the broadcast had ended. The normally bustling room was extremely quiet also. Everyone likely had the same question that Signas did... Was X really dead? And what of Zero?

A second later, Signas finally spoke.
"It doesn't matter. Even if X is gone, we won't give up. We can't give up. Too many lives depend on us. Sigma thinks he's won. He thinks that X was the only one who could stop him. But he's wrong. We will find him and put him down once and for all. Because that's what we hunters do." Signas paused to let that sink in.

"So then Hunters... Prepare for battle. We have a war to win. And make no mistake about this... We will win."

48 hours later...

Maverick Hunter HQ was a smouldering rubble. Fires still burned dimly from the siege laid upon it. Bodies of humans and reploids that worked in the building were strewn everywhere. Several had been taken and mounted on sticks to serve as a warning and intimidation against fighting Sigma's forces. The upper echelon of Hunter forces had been completely eradicated in the attack.

"It's been three months since that happened and since then Hunter bases have been systematically targeted and removed. Each one by differing means. Some, like Hunter HQ were taken down by precision orbital weapon strikes. Others were assaulted by mavericks. Others still were abandoned by Hunters fleeing for their lives. And a few simply rolled over and submitted to Sigma.

The remainder of us Hunters, that remained loyal at least, have been driven underground and now form a much smaller resistance group. We've been working on rescuing Humans and getting them to safety as best we can. It hasn't been easy and we're glad to have you back Hunter. We need all the help we can get in these desperate times.

I won't lie to you though, we're in terrible shape. We don't have anywhere near the same level of capability we had before. Our medics are scraping just to keep everyone upright." The older reploid stopped talking for a moment to let everything sink in.

"We're planning a raid right now if you'd like to help..." He stated.
12-17-2014 10:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
RE: Megaman X - Darkest Night
Serah stepped forward immediately.
"Yeah, I want to." was all she stated.

"Good, come with me to our planning area" replied the older reploid. He turned and walked into another room not far off.

Inside the room there was very little. A single small lamp hung from the ceiling and illuminated the centre of the room only. The edges were darkened. On the table underneath the light was a map. The map was clearly of the city and had markings all over it.

Standing before the table though was another reploid, he was a taller reploid with dark red armour. He had 3 silver vents on either side of his legs. His thighs, biceps and stomach were light silver. His chest armour was deep red with a large plate having been welded over his right side. His left side had a silver marking all the way down. His helmet was red and curved back and down to a point behind him. It had three silver spikes protruding from his ear section.

He was bent over studying the map when the older reploid entered. He slowly looked up and when he did it became apparent how bad a shape he was in. The left half of his face was torn off, revealing the metal underneath. His left eye was missing and every once in a while a spark could be seen.

"Ah, welcome back Gil. I see you've found some more hunters to help our cause. That's good." He paused a second then stood up properly.
"Where are my manners?" He asked himself.
"My name is Cid. I used to be in the 1st squad... Under Commander Signas. Before he met his untimely fate. Now I'm the leader of this pocket of resistance." He stopped for a second to let that sink in.

"Now, for this mission at hand... We have intel that a supply base taken over by mavericks is getting ready to dispatch a cache of weapons. We could desperately use them to fix up what we have. Our objective is simple... Ambush that supply truck and hijack it. Don't harm the driver though, they're an innocent civilian caught up in this. " Cid paused.
"The best place to ambush the truck is right here" Cid pointed on a spot on the map.
"It's at a narrow one way street. The truck won't be able to turn around or veer off course. Once you have the truck bring it back to our warehouse here" he stated while he pointed to a location on the map.

"It's a very short drive, but no doubt once you take the truck you're going to have to move quick. Once you start deviating from course mavericks will be coming for you." He stated simply.

"Don't get cocky and try heading to their supply base right now. I know you're all trained hunters and doing the impossible is just part of the job... But that base has far too many guards, especially high ranking mavericks, and our current capabilities just aren't enough. It'd be a suicide mission to even attempt taking that base."

"Also, the truck leaves in an hour. So take 20 minutes to get yourselves ready and head out to the location." Cid stated.
12-19-2014 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Serah nodded, indicating that she understood her instructions. After she left the briefing room she stopped over by the weapon supplier. Once he saw her approaching he reached underneath the desk and pulled a small box up.
"Here you go Serah." He stated as he pulled two missiles from the box and handed them to her.
"Two... That's it?" She asked incredulously.
"I had ordered 6" she muttered.
"Hey, don't get that way with me. You know how limited supplies are right now. You're lucky that I even had those left." He countered.
"Well, I guess two is better than nothing."
"Probably a good idea not to rely on them anyway. They might make a bit much noise for any stealth missions anyway."
"But it's always nice to have the extra fire power... Just in case things go sideways." She stated.
"Ah yeah, heh, I hear that. But I can't do anything more for you."
"Next time then." Serah stated as she turned and left.

A few minutes later she had made her way to the garage. She picked a land chaser from the line up and climbed on. The aging chaser sputtered at first before it engaged and achieved liftoff. She idled it slowly as it got up to speed enough to drive. Every few seconds it gave a small shudder as if to indicate it's age and level of disrepair. Then the shuddering stopped and things smoothed out some.

She turned towards the door and one of the attendants opened the door for her. She pushed on the throttle some and took off out the door.

The drive to their ambush location wasn't overly far. But Serah stopped just before it and parked her chaser. Another hunter team would be by later to pick it up. (This way it wouldn't get swept up in the fighting and destroyed.) She approached the ambush spot on foot and climbed up on top of one of the buildings. The truck wasn't there yet... but it also wasn't scheduled to be for another 10 minutes.

Serah activated her comm.
"Radio check... anyone out there?" she asked.
12-23-2014 10:50 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
Isaac Midas sat on a cold stool with his arms folded and a permanent scowl plastered on his face. He was in Cid's briefing room listening as he outlined plans for a small raid. Isaac had little interest in it, even though he knew that the supplies were desperately needed. What he wanted was a dangerous combat op, one last great offensive where he could lay down his life, wet with the blood of his foes. And here Cid didn't even want them to hurt the driver, who was either a maverick sympathizer or an apathetic slug passively sitting by while they were exterminated. There could be no neutral parties anymore, not in this new world the mavericks had built. And from Isaac's perspective, if you weren't against the mavericks you had to be for them.

His thoughts were interrupted momentarily by the arrival of Serah and other former hunters. The situation had grown so dire that many of the hunters that had not already surrendered, run away or been executed had switched their loyalties over to Sigma in order to save their worthless lives. It warmed his heart somewhat to see even a handful return to the fold, despite the hopelessness of it all.

Cid began again with his plan so as to include the new arrivals, and by the time he'd finished Isaac had resolved himself to go. It wasn't the mission he wanted, but there was still opportunity for combat, and what kind of message would he send to the new arrivals if he hunkered down underground, never bestirring himself to help the cause?

There was a word of warning that Isaac knew was probably included for him, instruction not to charge off and assault the maverick base alone. Just because Isaac was ready to die didn't make him suicidal. What good was a lone maverick base when they'd established hundreds more, they wouldn't even feel the loss. No, before he went to join his wife and daughter he'd make his death mean something. Either by avenging their deaths or by helping to free the world of tyranny, the long shot though it was. Isaac knew that every one among them was living on borrowed time, it was about making that remaining time mean something.

Cid ended by telling everyone to be ready to leave in twenty minutes, but Isaac was always ready, and he left immediately to inspect the ambush site for himself. Since this nightmare began Isaac had not once removed his armor, hadn't even powered down to rest. There would be plenty of time for sleep after he was dead.

For Odin's beer! The finest brew in all of Asgard.
[Image: odinsbeerhalllogo.png][/color]
As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
12-24-2014 01:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
At the appointed time, exactly on schedule, like if rehearsed... the truck could be heard slowing down and making it's way into the narrow corridor. Then the truck appeared.

It was pretty beat up, white in colour with plenty of dust and dirt all over it. It had dozens of dents and scratches all over the body. The front grill hung on barely. In the driver's seat was a beat up looking civilian reploid also. Evidently serving the mavericks didn't offer a very good health plan. His armour was cut open in places. He was wearing a standard green bodysuit with a plain set of chest armour and a green hat instead of a helmet.

Serah peeked over the rail of the building slowly to watch as the truck got closer and closer. She didn't want to jump the gun and have him gun it or worse... reverse and take off the other way.

She readied her buster though for the time when she would need it.
12-24-2014 01:30 AM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
Isaac and the hunter Serah arrived at the ambush point and found it as described, a narrow one way street between some bombed out buildings. Isaac crossed to the far side of the street and entered through a door which was barely hanging on its hinges. Looked like it had been some kind of craft shop at one point, but that was a lifetime ago. The shop offered a good enough vantage point however, and would allow the pair eyes on both sides of the street.

The truck rumbled into view, barely hanging together. Surprising. Isaac knew the world had gone to hell, but if anyone still had working vehicles it would be the mavericks. Cid had made a big deal about maverick reinforcements coming in if the truck deviated from its course, but Isaac could plausibly see the vehicle breaking down before it reached its destination. If the driver had to stop for a could of minutes to look under the hood, would anyone really think it that suspicious?

Across the street Serah readied for action. Isaac wondered how she planned to stop the vehicle, surely not by shooting out the tires? That would cause it to careen into one of the buildings, probably rendering the piece of junk inoperable.

Isaac decided he'd take the initiative, charging energy in his gauntlet and calling on a power he'd obtained years ago. Moisture began to gather, forming a puddle in the street between Isaac and Serah. Just before the vehicle drove over it, the puddle hardened into a patch of ice, causing the truck to fishtail. The driver panicked, and slammed on the breaks as he began to lose control, skidding to a stop just beyond Isaac and Serah's hiding place. Once he had regained control the driver began to press down on the accelerator, but the wheels only spun in place, kicking up dust. The driver was confused, he hadn't driven into any hole that he could see, it was like some invisible force hadclamped onto the back end and wouldn't let go. Perplexed, he opened the door and got out to inspect the problem.

As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
12-24-2014 02:31 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Serah had been ready to jump down, obstruct the road and demand he stop... But this other hunter had a better plan and safer too. His actions caused the driver to lose control and then get out to inspect what was going on.

Once he was out of the vehicle, Serah acted. She activated her Spark Hook and grabbed the poor civilian reploid by the shoulder. With a tug she yanked him up on top of the building. He crashed into the roof with a dull thud.
"The..." He started to mutter before Serah punched him in the face and knocked him offline. Mavericks probably wouldn't notice him up here and he'd be free to get away. Though if he did decide to go crawling back to them, he at least had the excuse he was ambushed and attacked from behind.

After knocking the driver out, Serah jumped down and on top of the truck. Another hunter that had accompanied them climbed in behind the wheel. Serah braced herself for when the vehicle began to move. It wouldn't be long before mavericks would come running.
12-24-2014 03:07 AM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
Serah had taken care of the driver, yanking him up on top of the building and knocking him out. Once again, Isaac questioned the instruction not to harm him, his life had been forfeit the moment they took the supplies. Isaac had no doubt the mavericks would execute him if he were ever found as punishment for losing the supplies.

Isaac released his hold on the vehicle and climbed in the back where the supplies were, and busied himself by rummaging through them. He was looking for any sort of transmitter or locator beacon that might give away their position. It was a given that they'd be abandoning the vehicle at some point, but Isaac didn't want to take the risk that their supplies might have been tagged. He reached out one hand to steady himself as the vehicle groaned, someone had changed gears and the truck resumed its forward motion.

12-29-2014 07:36 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
The truck had taken off, slowly at first to more easily navigate the narrow passageway that had effectively served to help them ambush the truck. Once they were clear of the passageway and into the open section Serah braced herself and readied her buster. They made a turn and second later she could hear the radio inside the cabin click on...
"Supply truck 5612, resume course immediately."

Looks like things were about to get fun sooner than she thought. The driver continued on their course though disregarding the message. Serah didn't blame them for not responding, mavericks wouldn't likely have cared what the reason was. The radio blared on again and the operator tried again:
"Truck 5612, this is your final warning to correct course."

But a few seconds later, after they had failed to slow down or acknowledge the order, the radio blared again...
"Truck 5612. You are charged with dereliction of duties and theft of goods belonging to Lord Sigma's army. Hand yourself over for judgement immediately. A squad has been dispatched to apprehend you. Come quietly and no harm shall come to you. Resist and you shall be fired upon."

Shortly after the transmission ended, the sound of Beecopters could be heard overhead.
"Company inbound, just like predicted." Serah called out.
01-06-2015 11:41 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
Even as Serah called back the warning, Isaac could hear the massive propeller blades. As they came into view Isaac chuckled to himself at the folly of it all. Beecopters hadn't changed much in their years of development and operation. They were still highly inefficient where fuel was concerned, and their relatively weak armor combined with their nonexistant mobility made them a poor choice of assault vehicle. The mavericks had only sent two, probably only expecting to find a greedy driver who'd surrender after a show of force. Everyone knew at this point that Sigma had won, that it was foolish to resist. Isaac had no problem playing the fool.

As soon as the copters came into range Isaac leaned out the back of the truck and hefted a missile launcher onto his shoulder, taking aim and locking onto his first target. A quiet beep indicated the lock on, Isaac fired the stolen ordinance, striking the enormous bee between its eyes and antennae. That was all it took to bring the bee crashing down to the ground in a heap.

By this point the second copter had entered firing range, and let loose a barrage from its forward machine guns. Several shots ripped through the truck's canvas, thankfully not striking any of the ordinance. "We've got to go faster," Isaac shouted to the front of the cab. "There's a lot of stuff back here that'll blow us sky high if the guns so much as nick it!"

01-08-2015 11:13 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Serah watched while a rocket flew and took out one beecopter. A rocket that had been part of the weapons they had been sent to steal. She had hoped to recover all the goods without having to use any. High explosives were kind of difficult to come by and were very often necessary for taking down larger enemies. Though at the same time it was just one rocket and if that beecopter had unloaded rockets of it's own it could have wrecked the truck pretty quickly.

The second beecopter, having seen the first destroyed, readied it's machine guns and fired. Seeing what was about to happen, Serah dove in front of where she expected the high explosives where. Gunfire cut across the top of the truck and several of the bullets cut into her back. But at least the truck was still moving and hadn't exploded.

She could hear Isaac call to the driver to speed up, which the driver did accelerate some. Though not a whole lot given that the truck was loaded full and couldn't really go that fast.

Serah stood up quickly and pointed her buster at the remaining beecopter. She fired a few shots in quick succession. Her buster shots impacted, luckily one shot had hit the copter's face and knocked out it's visuals. It wavered slightly in the air while it switched to alternative tracking methods. But Serah fired again and again. More shots hit the massive bee and chunks of it's armour fell off. Which was a good thing... likely other hunters would be around to grab that metal to use for repairs.

But the bee hadn't gone down yet and had corrected it's flight path. Serah unleashed several more shots and the bee's face was reduced to a skeletal frame.

Then the telltale sound of it's machine guns winding up could be heard. Serah instinctively fired again and her final shot caused the bee to explode. Her shot had impacted inside the bee's body and wrecked it from the inside out.

With the second bee down they had bought enough time to make it to the warehouse. They pulled in and immediately a half dozen workers began to unload the truck. They pulled supplies from it and loaded them into a half dozen smaller vehicles. Soon enough the truck was empty. One of the workers turned to the driver.
"You take the truck and dump it somewhere. We don't want them coming here just in case we need to use this warehouse again. Even though right now we have this whole section, and two others, flooded with jamming signals, we still don't need them poking around here if we can help it."

The worker then turned to Serah and Isaac...
"Good job you two, head back to base for your next assignment."
01-13-2015 11:19 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
The second bee was down and they were pursued no further. The mavericks had been caught off guard this time and underreacted, but that wouldn't happen again. Isaac allowed himself to enjoy their small victory, but wondered if the supplies they'd won would be worth losing the element of surprise in the larger battle. The mavericks could stand to lose a truck full of supplies and munitions; they wouldn't even feel the loss. It was true that the Remnant forces desperately needed those supplies, yet Isaac longed for a decisive battle, just scraping by and staying alive felt like idleness to him.

Before long the truck had entered a jamming zone, and apparently the mavericks had lost tracking capabilities. It was awfully optimistic to think that the mavericks wouldn't notice the signal had just vanished and come looking for this little safehouse, particularly after the loss of the pair of beecopters. But once again, Isaac let them have their small victory, even if he found it unsatisfactory. In times like these it was important to keep troop morale up, there was no point in polluting the air with his cynicism.

As he and Serah headed back to base, Isaac found himself thinking about his new partner. Had she been a Hunter before all this? Isaac didn't recognize her as a World Government unit. She seemed capable enough, it was no surprise that she had survived the initial purge, but what had it cost her? Had she suffered as he had? Part of him wanted to hear her story, and yet he didn't want to pry. And if she turned the question on him, how would he answer? The wound was too painful, too fresh, he didn't know if he'd be able to speak to anyone about it.

Isaac shrugged it off. If they survived this hell together they'd gradually learn about each other along the way, there was no need to pry. And if they didn't survive then sharing stories was moot point anyway.

01-14-2015 08:16 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Serah was glad the mission was over. She hoped they hadn't used all of that metal salvaged from the beecopters since her own armour had taken hits and she would have liked some repairs made. She didn't want to have to keep those bullet holes in her back any longer than she had to. Plus she had a few other sections which could use a little reinforcement.

Though the mission had gone off without a hitch, which was a nice turn all things considered. They could use the supplies. Maybe she could even get more than 2 missiles for later. Thankfully she still had those two from before if nothing else.

On the way back to base though she couldn't help but consider her new partner. He didn't look like a normal hunter. And he didn't say much at all. Serah considered trying to speak, but she had no idea what to talk about. But that wasn't going to stop her anyway, even if it was going to be awkward.
"So... Nice shot with that missile. Were you a Hunter before too? If so, what squad were you in?"
01-19-2015 12:13 AM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
In the end Serah had made the first move. Isaac hesitated, wondering how much he ought to share.

"I wasn't a hunter," he said finally, and with some reservation. "But I worked with them several times during joint operations. I was a soldier, and later commanded within the World Government, which I'm sure you know was eradicated along with the Hunters. The name is Isaac by the way, Isaac Midas."

Serah did not immediately reply, so Isaac took the opportunity to turn the question on her. "So I gather that you were a hunter, tell me a little about your unit. Where were you stationed when you got the news?"

01-19-2015 09:24 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Serah listened to his response. After he stated his name, she paused to absorb the information. She considered asking him more about his assignments, why the world government. But before she could ask he pressed with a few questions of his own.

"Nice to meet you Isaac, I'm Serah Ria. But just call me Serah." she stated, completing her part of the introduction process.

"My unit was a group of mostly rookies. We'd only passed basic training about three months before everything went sideways. We were tasked with responding to incidents that occurred within Abel City. Things like when Sylph Succubus attacked."

"We had an older model reploid named Brooks who was our medic for a while. At least before he died on a mission. We had an infiltrator reploid who I only ever knew by H but he also died on a mission. Beyond them we had a sniper named Scopes. We had a foul mouthed huntress named Rubi, I never got along with her, but when it came to fighting she was good. And then there was Vyper... she was complicated... but she proved time and again to be able to handle herself and as many mavericks as you could throw at her. Unlike other units we also contracted out for mercenary help... we had a whole other team with us. Lead by a reploid named Sub. I never really interacted with him much. But he seemed like a good guy. I don't know the details of how and why we had mercenaries but we did and they helped us out a lot."

"We were stationed in Abel City when the news hit though we had escaped the attack because we were out on a mission at the time. We'd been dispatched to hunt a maverick suspected of possessing stolen Hunter secrets. It took us days to find him and when we did, he wouldn't come in so he had to be dealt with. Not that it really mattered at that point anyway. By then Hunter HQ was long gone. We'd lost virtually all of our commanders. We didn't know if we were the only team left or what. But with command gone, our team started to break down. Some of us wanted to go hit mavericks back hard. Others wanted to sit back and wait. Rubi was the first to take off. We found her body later... surrounded by a mound of maverick forces. She went down fighting, but there wasn't much left of her. Others took off to protect their own. I don't know what ever happened to Sub and his team. Scopes, Vyper and I were left. We carried on for a while just trying to survive but then I got separated from them. That's when I got a signal from a reserved hunter line. I followed it cautious, worried it might be a trap, but it lead me back to a guerrilla faction of hunters." Serah paused to let all that sink in.

"So what about you? How'd you end up joining this group?" She asked.
01-21-2015 01:21 AM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
Isaac remained impassive as Serah described her unit and the fates of those who had survived the initial purge. "I understand well the draw to strike back hard and fast," he said when she'd finished. "But it's important to understand that caution has it's place during a communications breakdown. You need to get the full picture before giving yourself over to fury and end up dying for nothing."

He'd been tempted of course, to do just that, but Isaac did not want to die so much as kill the mavericks responsible. "The night when Hunter HQ fell we received a number of evacuees, teleporting into the World Government Central Command," Isaac continued. "There was mass panic, at the time we had no idea what had happened, though several eyewitness accounts mentioned Sigma himself leading the attack. A few others mentioned a lone hunter holding the line, laying down his life to enable others to escape. Commendable, even if it only bought them a few more minutes at most. In the end the survivors only escaped from one slaughter to find themselves caught in another. World Government Central was their next target. Rather than stand and fight, the higher ups made the call to evacuate all high ranking personnel, abandon Central HQ for a secret bunker and ride out the storm, plan some counter strike."

Isaac shook his head as he remembered, and let out a long sad sigh before continuing. "Unfortunately, 'high ranking personnel' included me by that point, so rather than staying with my men I was taken into protective custody, so I could hide underground while my men all died. It was three days of agony before they released us, and all the while the news got worse and worse. By the end of it we were no longer working to coordinate a counter offensive, but going over contingency planning for our very survival. When we finally dispersed it was to spread out to other bunkers and safe-houses, the planners didn't think it was smart to have all of the leaders under one roof. When we dispersed I traveled back to Abel City, back to my home you see, rather than my preassigned safe-house."

There was another rather long pause. Serah did not interject, as it was clear Isaac had more to say, though at this point it looked like every word was a herculean effort. "I had a daughter there," Isaac finally forced out. "And I dared to hope... she'd have been at school understand, not a military target, and Sigma was promising leniency to reploids who would bend a knee. But Abel City was apparently a special case, after flattening MHHQ he began to consolidate his power, building up his forces and giving them free reign over the city. My buddy Garrett went to go get Kiera for me, but neither one of them made it out of the city..."

He tried to speak nonchalantly, to keep the pain from coming out in his voice, but instead the words fell hollow. It was the official version of the tale, one that a small handful of people in the Remnant forces already knew. But the full version went deeper than that, and drove into Isaac like a spike in his head. On the outside it was all business with him, but the attack had been incredibly personal.

"So with my men killed, my family murdered and the organization I'd proudly served for most of my life driven underground, there was nothing else left but to join up with the Remnant forces," Isaac finished hastily. It had been a long answer, much more than Isaac had intended to share, especially considering that he'd only just met Serah, and she'd asked a very general question. He hadn't wanted to talk about his trauma, but maybe he needed to more than he'd thought.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2015 12:28 AM by Jet.)
01-24-2015 12:15 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Serah listened patiently to Isaac's words. She has wondered what was going on with the governments, but they had been basically radio silent the whole time. Now it made sense... they were too busy trying to sort things out. They often took a long time to do anything and even now it seemed like that hadn't changed despite the urgency of immediate attention.

Then Isaac mentioned about his daughter and her fate. Serah wanted to say about getting her back, that things would be ok, but she knew better. If the mavericks came for her at this point there likely was no hope. That his daughter wouldn't likely have survived. And she didn't want to get Isaac's hopes up of that fact either.
But she didn't know exactly what to say either. As a reploid she didn't exactly have family, not in the sense he did. She had comrades who were like family... but she was incapable of having children (a fact which she had never really considered before this). At best she could have adopted, but that wouldn't really have been an option given her work as a hunter.

Finally she replied...
"I'm so sorry about your family. Do you have any ideas about the maverick who did it? Were you able to at least make sure they couldn't harm anyone else?"

Serah paused, the vehicle they were riding in was slowing down. They were getting close to base again. Soon they'd disembark and likely make their way for debriefing.
01-25-2015 10:24 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
The conversation was starting to grow awkward, after pouring everything he did out into the open Serah seemed like she didn't know how to respond. Now she was offering pity. Luckily they were almost back to base.

"I don't know who did it," Isaac answered her as they pulled in. "But they weren't skilled combatants and had no political sway, so I doubt it was anyone more important than the Abel City boarder guard. Just another random casualty of war."

01-25-2015 11:57 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
"Well... I guess if you don't know who did it, you'll just have to keep hunting them until you find the one responsible. And then ensure they can't do anything like it again." Serah paused after she finished talking. Her words surprised her since it was something more like what Rubi would have said. And given what she knew, and had said, about Rubi's fate... perhaps it was not the best course of action after all. At least not to just take off and challenge every maverick that moved. Some more restraint was in order.

The vehicle had parked and they got off. Someone immediately came over and told them to report to the medical bay for post action check ups. Serah was a bit grateful for that fact. She didn't want to keep her bullet holes any longer than she had to. Plus their conversation during the ride had given her a lot to think of. Things she normally hadn't considered. Life, family, humans compared to reploids... and the prospect of what it all meant.

So she made her way down to what served as the medical bay. A reploid was already hard at work stirring a large pot of sorts. Inside the sound of molten metal could be heard bubbling and hissing as the reploid mixed it. Eventually he pulled the scoop out and turned towards a reploid that lay, deactivated, on a bench nearby. With nary a though he slowly turned the scoop and began to pour molten metal slowly over the reploid's armour. The molten metal filled the cracks and dings easily. The high heat of the metal also partially melted the existing armour so that it formed a bond with the new metal...

The process was somewhat uncomfortable for Serah to watch given that in a few minutes she was going to undergo roughly the same thing. Sure enough once the metal was cooled down and a good bond had been secured, the doctor ordered Serah to lay down and shut down. Serah did as she was instructed...

A short time later her eyes opened and everything came online.
"There you go. I've fixed the bullet holes in your armour and a few of the cracks. I wouldn't recommend playing hero though for a little while yet since it will take a few hours still for the metal to set." He stated.
"Now, off you go. I have other patients to see."

Serah quickly slid off the table and hurried out. She could still smell the scent of molten metal and burnt paint. She knew the source and wasn't surprised. Her back was still quite hot to boot. If this were the proper Hunter HQ with the proper resources they would have either completely reforged the affected armour segment or patched it properly. Still she realised this was the best she was going to get any time soon and it was pointless to begrudge them for it. They were operating with what they had and trying to keep as many going as possible.

A short time later Cid called another meeting...

"Hunters, we have a prime opportunity. Another factory, one a bit further away and one that's a bit smaller, has been left relatively unguarded. They only have a single maverick general protecting it. We are certainly capable of infiltrating that base now. We can take out the maverick and secure a much healthier cache of supplies." Cid paused a second.
"We have considered the possibility that this is a trap regardless of what out intel indicates. But given that our intel from our scouts, and a figure inside the maverick organization, have confirmed that the two other maverick leaders normally stationed there have been pulled off for other duties... means this is a good time to strike."

"Our intel has placed a half dozen medium mechaniloids along the inside. There's only a few dozen smaller out front. The maverick controlling them all is inside the top section of the base overlooking the stockpiles."

"You could go in through the front and fight your way through. However there might be another way. There is a small tunnel from the sewer system that connects to a drain from the factory. If you go in that way you might be able to sneak in and be able to ambush the maverick a bit easier. The issue is that if you go in through the sewer you won't have any back up and you'll have to deal with everything yourselves. But if you can do that we might be able to get far more supplies." Cid paused.
"So which do you want to do?" He asked.
01-26-2015 11:06 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
It seemed as though they were being given a choice, as opposed to a command. That was good, Isaac was more used to giving commands than following them. Especially now when there was no central chain of command, just a few senior Hunter and World Government commanders who'd survived.

Isaac didn't like the sound of that factory. Or news of their supposed spy. While it was true that raiding a major production facility would gain them much more than a meager truck's worth of supplies, they'd have no way of holding their prize, assuming they even could wrestle control away from the mavericks. No way that he could see anyway. When Cid was finished he unfolded his arms and spoke his piece.

"I don't know how you plan on maintaining control once we've captured this place Cid, when we took the truck we had bee copters on us within minutes. How long do you think it'll take the mavericks to respond when they hear we've seized a fucking factory? Best case scenario I'd give us an hour to grab as much as we can and high-tail it out of there, and that's if this isn't a trap."

"That said," Isaac continued, "I'm willing to take the chance that this is a slip up on their end and go in. But only if we take the sewer route. We don't need reinforcements, just a small strike team to get inside undetected and cut this general's throat before they know what hit them. If we go in the front guns blazing, they'll have scrambled reinforcements before we even make it past the mechanaloids out front. You keep your reinforcements on standby, ready to pick up as much as they can carry once the factory is ours."

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 01:17 AM by Jet.)
01-27-2015 01:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Our Affiliates - Affiliate with us!
Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight
We're listed at:
Forum Promotion RPGfix Necessary Evil RPG Initiative Vote for Endless Fight at Top Site List Planet
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison