Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Ghostbusters movie?
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Another Ghostbusters movie?
So earlier it was revealed that Sony has plans to make a Ghostbusters sequel with an all female cast (Directed by Paul Feig with Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy taking roles in the movie) set for release in 2016.

Today they've revealed that they're going to make another Ghostbusters movie, this time with an all male cast set for release in 2017.

This new movie they've announced will see the Russo brothers (the directors from Captain America: The Winter Soldier) helm the project with Dan Aykroyd (Dr. Ray Stanz from the movies) and Ivan Reitman (Director of the first two movies) acting as overseers on the project.

Source

So now there are 2 Ghostbusters movies coming... What do you think?

Would you go to see either? Should they even make these two movies? Or would you rather them make a TV series (or cartoon or game) instead?
03-09-2015 09:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
RE: Another Ghostbusters movie?
A television series would probably have more longevity than a movie... which might see moderate success but will quickly be forgotten.

I don't see the need to have two movies with separate male and female teams. If they have a good idea they should include it in the initial movie, or save it for a sequel. I don't really see the logic behind this move.

For Odin's beer! The finest brew in all of Asgard.
[Image: odinsbeerhalllogo.png][/color]
As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
03-09-2015 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I think the reason for the all male and all female cast movies being separate comes down to 2 reasons...

1- Hedging bets.
The reception the all female cast movie was... not good (putting it mildly). Fans largely hated the idea. They felt it was blatant pandering to a group that cares nothing for the source material. (Kind of like what fans are going though for Marvel's Thor right now.)

So they want to have a second movie on the way in case the first one flops. This way they can kind of kick this all-female movie off to side if things don't go well. And if things do go well then they can follow up with a sequel or include details from it into the all-male movie.

2- Merchandising.
Toys made for boys tend not to sell well for girls. Toys made for girls tend not to sell to boys. Female figures tend not to be popular with young boys. (To use another Marvel comparison... they don't want Black Widow, they want Hulk or Thor.)
So if they have 2 movies, with different casts, they can sell toys/merchandise geared for each gender and make more money.

I'd really love to see them produce a TV series. I think a live-action weekly series would be amazing. That would give them the time to flesh out the world like they really wanted. I mean they could very easily make multiple teams and show what they're up to (like each episode focuses on one team and what case they're working on). This way if they notice that certain episodes do terribly then they could just eliminate that team.
Alternatively they could start a season with a team and run them for that full season. Then they could have season 2 pick up with another team.

Or hybrid them... Season 1 introduces multiple teams as a method to gauge interest then have the successful teams be turned into season 2 and 3 respectively.

Though if they went for TV, I would really like if they avoided certain things...
- forced romance.
Just because there are two characters that show interest doesn't mean they need to pair up. I mean that any romance stuff usually comes in at the worst possible time (in character wise)... like in The Flash.
Spoiler:
Barry refuses to tell Iris how he feels about her. But after an issue he realizes he has to tell her or else risk losing her forever. Of course this happens just when Iris and Eddie Thawn (who have been dating a while) decide to move in together.

Where the whole thing feels awkward, hamfisted and shoehorned in there.

- any sort of messing with the containment unit.
These stories tend to be some of the most contrived and annoying (to me) in Ghostbusters. For some reason a ghost messes with the system to free another ghost. They can build a large system to contain ghosts... but they can't build a system to detect when ghosts are present by it?

- mascots.
Please no mascot ghosts (like slimer). They come off annoying more than anything.
03-10-2015 07:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
So apparently the second, all-male, Ghostbusters movie was never real. This comes from Producer Ivan Reitman (director of the original movie).

Despite his claims of it never being real, a partial script (30 pages) was indeed written. Though he states that the produced script wasn't very good.

Source

Thoughts on this reveal?
07-17-2016 03:05 PM
Maroon Caludin Offline
Ferret Queen

About Me
Honestly not huge on Ghost Busters. Seen parts of the movies though. Honestly as far as the all girl team and stuff. They should of just made it a mixed team. It really doesn't look good anyway.
07-17-2016 04:36 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
They could have, but then it would have ruined Paul Feig's vision. And the only reason he signed on was so he could do it his way. He wasn't going to direct if he could have creative control. (But because of the licensing, Ivan Reitman had most control so Sony actually had to put pressure on Reitman to get him to step down before they could let Feig do what he wanted. Otherwise Reitman would have vitoed it.)
07-17-2016 04:45 PM
randomdrifter865 Offline
The Man of Randomness

About Me
Honestly I would love another cartoon I understand we had the Real Ghost Busters and Ghost Busters Xtreme ,but come on a reboot to fit a more 21st century ghost busters would be interesting to see over the damn movie that no one really cares about.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeRzAV7Ah0[/video]
07-18-2016 02:37 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I could live with another cartoon, but I'd want them to avoid adding a mascot character (like slimer) because they just get obnoxious in a hurry.
07-18-2016 05:16 PM
Maroon Caludin Offline
Ferret Queen

About Me
Its actually kinda surprising they haven't tried another cartoon or something. I vaguely remember the cartoon. Never watch much since it disturbed me as a kid. XD
07-19-2016 11:16 PM
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
I don't know if you can have a cartoon without a mascot. There are tons of shows/comics that only found widespread popularity through a recognizable/popular mascot, it draws people in. Just have do it in a way that isn't annoying.

For Odin's beer! The finest brew in all of Asgard.
[Image: odinsbeerhalllogo.png][/color]
As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
07-19-2016 11:50 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I guess if they need to help draw in viewers. But the problem is that the mascot runs the risk of becoming too centre focus. I mean in the Real Ghostbusters slimer ended up getting too much focus and he was obnoxious. They ended up with a dedicated show for him and it was bad. He became the scrappy.
(My favourite part of the 2009 videogame was stuffing his ass back into a trap. )

Also I maintain a live-action TV show could be a happy medium between a movie and cartoon. It'd allow for a longer than half-hour timeslot plus the CG effects could be done a lot easier now than doing a full cartoon.
07-20-2016 12:29 AM
Maroon Caludin Offline
Ferret Queen

About Me
(07-19-2016 11:50 PM)Jet Wrote:  I don't know if you can have a cartoon without a mascot. There are tons of shows/comics that only found widespread popularity through a recognizable/popular mascot, it draws people in. Just have do it in a way that isn't annoying.
Hmm true. I mean not all cartoons suffer from this, but some do. And then you run into fans making their own almost.
07-22-2016 12:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Our Affiliates - Affiliate with us!
Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight
We're listed at:
Forum Promotion RPGfix Vote for Endless Fight at Top Site List Planet
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison