Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon Go shop
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Amazon Go shop
Amazon has revealed a new way to shop for groceries. Planned for a release in Seattle in 2017 the new store is titled Amazon Go. How it works is you swipe your phone when you walk in. Then as you shop and pick items up it tracks what you've taken. (When you put an item back it removes it from your virtual cart too.) When you're all finished you simply leave the store. The system calculates the total of everything you bought, bills your Amazon account/credit card and emails you a receipt.

Source

What if someone doesn't swipe their phone (to sync their account) when they go in? Is there any kind of back up or failsafe system?

Suppose they do swipe their phone, what happens if they pick up an item in one section and then put it back somewhere else? Can the system detect that they returned it to another spot or does it lose track of that item?

And suppose this takes off and other stores follow suit, how many jobs will be lost?
12-12-2016 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vile Offline
The Baron

About Me
RE: Amazon Go shop
I would foresee lots of customer complaints about charges. Likewise this may be easy to steal from if you can setup a fake account to use.
12-12-2016 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jet Offline
Badass Sky Captain

About Me
I think this is the future for a lot of stores. An automated checkout system like this is going to run into some issues initially but when the kinks are ironed out stores won't have to hire cashiers, they won't have as many issues with shoplifting, and customers will generally complete their shopping more quickly. But I think we're still a ways off from that.

For Odin's beer! The finest brew in all of Asgard.
[Image: odinsbeerhalllogo.png][/color]
As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do...
12-12-2016 04:10 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I think that you're ultimately right Jet. Most companies are going to want to push for this. (Or something similar.) It'd be an easy way to keep their costs down. (I mean they wouldn't have to have nearly the staff they do now. That alone would be millions they'd save right there. )

I don't know if this will actually be able to stop shoplifting, as Vile suggested, fake accounts and/or people entering without the account in the first place.

Now it might not affect grocery stores so much, but other shops (like electronics stores or multi-section shops) that could deal with returns... Would this sort of system affect that too? Could it possibly handle them too or would people still have to do that? Or would it help eliminate people from trying to buy at one store and return to another?
12-12-2016 06:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vile Offline
The Baron

About Me
VZ just made me realize, no receipts would be a nightmare. I'm sure they would send them electronically, but then you can forge one and return an product you had lying around for essentially store credit or cash.
12-12-2016 10:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison