Thread Closed 
The Basics (forum 101)
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
RE: The Basics (forum 101)
How do I register?

First and foremost, I want to thank you for deciding to join us. I hope you'll find this to be a most welcoming and enjoyable atmosphere for you.

Now then, to get down to business. To register:
1- At the top of the page, just underneath the banner you will see: "Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )" Click the "Register" button.
2- On the page that loads, you will be asked whether your birthday was before or after a certain time. Click the option that applies to you.
3- On the next page you will be asked to enter a username, password (as well as retype the password to ensure it's as you intended to type it.) and your email address. Fill all of those in and click the submit at the bottom. (*)

4- Now, check your email for an email from here. You may have to check your spam or junkmail folders as some email providers filter this as spam. It should appear in your inbox within an hour... But if it doesn't then you can post on the forum in the guest zone to let me know and I will handle it from there. (**)

5- Inside the email, you will find a link... Click it to validate your account. (Some users may need to copy the link then paste the link into their browser to make it work.)

6- Once you account has been validated (aka step 5.) You can begin posting or setting up your account. Welcome to the forum.

* Be cautious when choosing your username... Accounts that choose offensive usernames will be disabled or deleted, repeated attempts to sign up with offensive usernames will entail an IP ban.

** WARNING - if you use a disposeable 1-2 hour email account such as jetable.org I will NOT validate your account. There is no reason to use such an account unless you are only going to cause mischief.
Even if you do get through the validation process with such an email, if I see it (and I will...) I will disable your account on the spot.
01-23-2010 02:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

How do I post?

It is a fairly simple process to make a post...
1- Locate a topic that you want to leave a reply in.
2- Click the topic title to enter it.
3- Scroll to the bottom of the page
4- Click the button marked: "Reply".
5- Type your message in the box of the page that appears. (Remember the forum rules...)
6- Below the spot where you typed the message is a button called: "Submit Post"... Press it.

Your post should have been entered. Just be aware that if your connection fails or our host's server is under heavy load then the post may not go through. We recommend that if you notice the forum to be slow that you copy the post before you hit send just in case it doesn't go through. (This way you can paste a copy of the message to notepad or some other editting program to be saved so that you can upload the message later.)

Alternatively, if you have the Opera web browser then it will save your post if it doesn't go through and you can recover the post merely by pressing the back button once.
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
How do I change my avatar? (Or signature)

To change your avatar:
1- Click on the "User CP" link displayed at the top of the page.
2- Along the left hand side, under the heading: "Menu" will be several options... Click "Change Avatar"
3A- Now, if you have a URL to an avatar already that you'd like to use, paste the link to it in the box that says: "Enter a URL to an online avatar image"
3B-Alternatively, if you have an avatar that you'd like to upload to the forum... Then you can click the "Choose" button to open a window so you can navigate to where it is stored on your computer. Once you find it you click on it and then click the "Open" and it will be uploaded for you.
4- Click "Update Avatar" and it should appear.

To alter your signature...
1- Click on the "User CP" link displayed at the top of the page.
2- Along the left hand side, under the heading: "Menu" will be several options... Click "Change Signature" instead of "Change Avatar".
3- Now a box that looks like a post entry box will appear. Use it to make whatever changed you wanted to your signature.
4-Then when you are done click: "Update Signature"

Just remember that both your avatar and signature must comply with the forum rules. Offensive signatures and avatars will be removed on sight and the users will be punished according to the rules.

One other thing to be aware of... Hotlinking avatars/signatures is not allowed as it is bandwidth theft. (As well any errors or anti-hotlinking traps that arise could end up in unwanted materials being linked to the forum.) The only sites you should be linking to are dedicated image hosting sites such as Imageshack or Photobucket.
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
How do I use the UBBC codes? And what do they do?

To use a UBBC code when posting a message simply click before where you want to insert the tag, then click the button above where you are typing that corresponds to the tag you want to use. The first half of the tag will appear where you had selected prior. Then click where you want the second half to go and click the same button again. This will close the tag and allow it to take effect. If you don't close the tag you'll see that the button you pressed will be marked with an asterisk (*) to show you that it's been opened, but not closed and thus that tag won't be in effect.

For the dropdown menus, you can simply highlight the text you want to apply those effects to then click the dropdown menu and select your choice. Once you do that both halves of the tags will appear surrounding your selection.

As for what the tags do...

The "B" makes things Bold.
The "I" makes things Italic.
The "U" makes things underlined.
Clicking the font dropdown changes the font type...

Clicking the size dropdown changes the size of the font.

The picture allows you to place the url of an image inside and it'll display the image.
The world with a little chain in front of it will turn regular text into a link. (It'll ask you for the link in a popup box, then it'll ask you to name the link.)
The picture of the letter allows you to place an email address in your post. (It'll ask for the email address in a popup box.)*WARNING this is not recommended as it is very easy for spambots to harvest these addresses.*
The textbox allows you to seperate text off to show that it's being quoted. Like so:
Quote:This is a quote.

The "#" allows you to place html, css, javascript or other kinds of computer code inside it without worrying about the browser or forum changing the formatting.
Code:
if(A, A>B, i++) {}

The 3 dashes next to dots allows you to create a list of bulleted items. It uses a popup box for each item.
It looks like:
  • this
  • and this
  • and this
(The dashes next to the numbers allows you to make numbered lists.)

Custom BBcodes
The following BBcodes are custom created and at this point cannot be used exactly like the above ones. Clicking their button places them at the very end of the reply box (or the last line of it.)

The "spoiler" allows you to place a button that must be clicked to reveal the information. Like:
Code:
[Spoiler]this[/Spoiler]
Spoiler:
Content Hidden

We also have an alternative spoiler tag that lets you decide what it's called... To use that:
Code:
[spoil2=click to see]this[/spoil2]
EX-
Spoiler:
this

The tv button allows you to place an embedded video into a post. To do this, take the of the video and place it inside the tag.
EX- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHPxlJgsfzs
Code:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHPxlJgsfzs[/video]

The "@ allows users to tag each other. Itll popup and ask you to search for the user you want to tag. You can also type it in manually like so:
Code:
@"VirusZero"
01-23-2010 02:55 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

How do I Personal Message someone?

To send a personal message (PM) to someone:
1- Click the username of the person you want to send the message to.
2- On their profile page, scroll down until you see the section marked: "Contact Information" on the left hand side of the page. Under that heading there, the 6th line is the Personal Message button. Click the part that says: "Click Here."
3- Then on the new page, use the box next to "Message Title" to give it a name, then the box below that to type your message in.
4- when you are done, press the "Send Message" button to send it to the member.

Alternatively when in a topic where a member has posted, at the bottom of their post, the 2nd button (named "PM") can be clicked to take you to the send PM page.

And yet another alternative is to:
1- On any page, click the "My Controls" link
2- On the left hand side of the page, under: "Messenger" click: "Compose New Message".
3- Enter the name(s) of the members that you want to Personal Message. (Names are Case sensitive...)
4- Compose the message, then click "Send Message".

If you want to see if the recipient has opened the message, check the box named: "Track This Message" just above the "Send Message button".
If you want to keep a copy of the message, then check the box above the "Track This Message" box. (A copy will be saved in your sent messages folder.) Though caution, every message you save counts against the number of messages you are allowed to have in your inbox... (The default number is 50.) If your inbox becomes filled you will be unable to recieve messages until some messages have been removed.
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

I'm tired of <Username> sending me messages, what can I do?

You can block them from sending you messages... to do this:
1- On any page, click the "User CP" link.
2- On the left hand side of the page, under the heading: "Miscellaneous" click the link marked: "Buddy/Ignore lists"
3- This will open a new page. Under the heading "Edit Ignore List" click the text box and enter the user's name. (It is case sensitive...)
4- Then click the ""Ignore user(s)" button.

This user is now blocked from sending private messages to you. Though also their messages on the forum will be hidden from your view also.

Though if a user is sending you abusive messages. Such as insulting you or continually sending you advertisements, then you should contact staff right away and we'll deal with that member.
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

How do I appear invisible/offline?

Click "User CP". Then go to "Edit Options" and check the box beside "Hide me from the Who's Online list." to appear offline. (Or uncheck it to appear visible again.)

NOTE: You will only appear offline to other members. Staff will still be able to see when you are online.
01-23-2010 02:56 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

What is the report button? What does it do?

The report button... (The last of the buttons along the bottom of every post) is used to send a message to the staff that a post has something in it which violates the rules. It is the member's way to help the staff keep the site clean and operating well.

Caution should be taken when using this button as it's reports are treated very seriously. It is not the reply button, and should NEVER be used to reply to a topic or just send a greeting to the staff. (If you want to send a greeting to the staff, use the PM feature or the shoutbox. )
The only time the report button should be invoked is if there is something offensive/problematic which the staff has missed. Though if people cannot control themselves and abuse the report feature it may be disabled or the ones continually abusing it may find themselves banned.

If you accidentially click the button, press the back button on your browser and it will cancel the report. (If the report is cancelled, it never shows up for the staff so no one will know that the button was pressed.)
01-23-2010 10:52 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

How do I work the skin changer?

Simple. Click on the drop down menu at the bottom of the page and click the name of the skin you want to apply.
The selection of skins may vary from time to time (as certain ones are pulled out to be upgraded or worked on or may be removed entirely to make room for other, newer ones.)

Alternatively if you want a preview of the skin before you set it.
1- Go to "My Controls"
2- At the bottom, on the left hand side under the heading: "Options", click the link marked: "Skin and Language".
3- Use the drop down box to select the skin you want to preview and then press the "Preview this skin" button next to it. (This will open a popup with a page using the new skin so you can see it before you set it.)
01-23-2010 11:12 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
What does <term> mean?

Here are some of the various terms you may come across on the forum...

Basic forum related:

Board - A section of the forum where topics are placed, often grouped because of a central theme. EX- The rules board houses everything about the rules there.

Forum - A website where users can join to read other's posts and then enter their own posts. It can also mean an individual section devoted to a particular topic. EX- the Videogames forum.

Post - This is any message entered by a person. (Such as this message here.) This can be the first message put up in a new topic or the last message in a closed topic.

Reply - This is when someone puts a response up to a message. (This is also called a post, but specifically refers to a post entered after the first post.)

Topic - At least one post to a series of messages put up by members that are all about one specific idea. EX- a particular game series.

Punishment related:

Ban - This is when a member is restricted from accessing the forum. (99% of the time because the member broke the rules. The other 1% is a preventative measure to stop known abusive members from joining.)

Mod Queue - This is a mode that a member is put into when that member cannot be trusted to control themselves in their posts on their own. (Such as they continually harass others or cannot stop cursing.) Every post they enter has to be approved by a moderator before it will be entered into the forum.

Warning - This is when a staff member says something along the lines of: "Don't do that <insert action> again." This is more or less the freebie to let that member know they did something and to not do it again. This is not usually accompanied by an increase of the warning bar.

Warning bar - This is a member's personal warning count. If they do something against the rules this may be increased, up to a max of 10. (Once it hits 10, the user is banned.) The staff that warns the user may choose to enter a reason for the warning, but is not required to do so.

User and user action related:

Flame - An insult directed at someone.

Flame war - This is when 2 (or more) members begin to insult each other and may end up dragging more members into the problem.

Flamer - Someone who posts insulting messages.

Member - Someone who is registered to the site.

Newbie - Someone who is new to a forum or subject. They may make mistakes, but they are willing to learn and correct them. This is not to be confused with a noob.

Noob - This is a person who acts arrogantly and expects to be revered despite the fact they are new to a subject and know little to nothing about it. (Often demonstrated clearly by their lack of understanding of the subject.)

Troll - a person who posts messages simply to cause arguments or to mess with the staff of a site. For a more detailed definition of what I call a troll, check <a href='http://endlessfight.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=45&view=findpost&p=107' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>here.</a>

Trolling - The simplest definition is that it is the conscious act of posting a message to get people to cause problems.

Underage - A person who is younger than 13 years old.

Forum options related:

Topic Lock - This is when a staff member decides to close a topic for whatever reason. (It may be anything from the topic has gone too far off topic, has become a potential flame war, or even just the staff wants to prevent replies from being posted in that topic.)

Other:

Hotlinking - Using a website's bandwidth without permission by linking to an image or media stored on their server. (Because every time someone views that image it has to load from their server.)
Some sites have anti-hotlinking traps on them, so if you hotlink from them it might replace the image you're trying to view with something else. (Possibly something that would be a Terms of Service offence.)
01-26-2010 08:31 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Help! I have a problem and need assistance.

Ok, before a staff member can help you you need to give us a few details.
We need to know what sort of issue you are having. Please be as descriptive as possible so we can assist you. If you simply say something like:
"It doesn't work." Then we have no idea what feature you're referring to and thusly we won't be able to help you until you tell us more. (As well if you're emailing us, we may not even be able to tell who you are if we aren't familiar with your email address.)
So for example if you aren't able to log in, you should contact us and say:
Quote:"My username is <username> and I'm unable to log in. The error message that it gives me is <error message/screenshot of error message>."

This gives us your username, so we know who on the forum is having the problem. (And that allows us to check your account right there to see if it's an issue with your account or something that is a problem with the whole forum.)
As well it gives us the problem so we know what's causing it (and what to look for).

As far as methods of contact go:
We recommend that you post the in the Visitor Lodge first. But if you're unable to post there then we recommend that you try to send a private messages or use the email feature on the board to contact a staff member. If all else fails then you can get my contact details here.

One word of caution... Staff members do not need your password to make changes to your account. NEVER give your password out to anyone as anyone who actually is staff doesn't need it. Anyone who says that they need it is lying and shouldn't be trusted.
02-04-2010 04:44 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
I have a question, where can I ask it?

If you're a guest, then you can ask it in the Visitor Lodge.

If you're a registered member then you can PM me. (Here's a direct link to PM me: VirusZero.) Or you can email me (See the contact info page.) Or you can simply post about it in the Suggestions and Questions area.
04-25-2010 02:11 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

How do I change my username?

Any user can change their username by:
- Clicking "User CP"
- Then, on the left under the heading "Your Profile", click: "Change Username"
- In the page that loads, you enter your new username in the box beside: "Your new username:".
- Then click the "Send Request" button.

Staff ( only the ones able to process the request) will then be notified via PM that there is a name change request waiting.

If/when the name is approved, that user will have to use the new name to log in.
EX- if they had the username Classic and change it to Legends, then they will have to use Legends to log in.
04-22-2011 02:14 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Our Affiliates - Affiliate with us!
Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight
We're listed at:
Forum Promotion RPGfix Vote for Endless Fight at Top Site List Planet
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison