Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ Windows / Mac ] Google working on game streaming
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
Google working on game streaming
It looks like mega corporation Google wants to get in on the game streaming market itself. Game streaming has been a thing for a few years since the On Live service proved it possible (before shutting down in 2015) and PS Now took up the reigns. Google looks to get in with it's own option titled "Yeti".

Google hired former Sony hardware division worker Phil Harrison, likely to work on the new system... So something could be coming.

Source

Is game streaming the future?
Do we even want game streaming?
02-11-2018 11:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Maroon Caludin Offline
Ferret Queen

About Me
RE: Google working on game streaming
In a way almost surprised they hadn't tried to get into this yet.
02-12-2018 06:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
RE: Google working on game streaming
So Google's game streaming service is here now... Dubbed Google Stadia. And reviews I've seen of it are rather mixed.
Some like the idea but have issues with the execution, noting that lag is still an issue and that it's inconsistent (like sometimes it'll lag and others it won't despite everything else being the same).

Though people I've talked to about this seem vary of it. Who is this really for is a big question. Hardcore gamers likely either already have a high end PC anyway (possibly have a console instead) or are getting one. Casual gamers are unlikely to be as invested in this and may not want to put down the price to buy the hardware and then a monthly subscription fee and then purchase the games themselves.

People, myself included, are also worried about the long term of this project. Google has been known to basically throw whatever at the wall to see what sticks and has no real issues with shutting down things that don't perform well. And given how you have to buy a monthly membership and then still purchase the games... it seems like a risky gamble that they won't just shut down in a year and leave gamers with absolutely nothing.
11-24-2019 06:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison