About The Forum
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
About The Forum
Why the name?

It was selected for several reasons...
1- I thought it sounded pretty cool.
2- I felt the name fit the theme of the site. (Especially since many of the roleplays on the site are about conflicts)
3- As well it was partially inspired by the song of the same name from the Rockman Zero videogame series.

I had initially considered the name: "Everlasting Peace" for the site... but I felt it was a bit misleading.
01-23-2010 04:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

Who runs this site?

Currently, this site is only run by VirusZero. But in the near future, as the site expands, more members will become staff.

Though at any time you can check to see who staff are by visiting this page.
01-23-2010 04:26 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

What kind of site is it?

This site is a roleplaying and discussion site.

For the roleplaying aspect, unlike some other sites we do not have any fixed skill level for ours. (EX- Advanced or Intermediate). As well we don't impose huge word count requirements or large paragraph counts. The reason for this is because we believe that roleplaying should be a hobby and not need to be some form of strenuous activity. As well, we don't care if there are spelling mistakes or the grammar isn't perfect, we only ask that the posts be legible enough to be read.

It is my opinion that sizable word counts and paragraph requirements only serve to hinder the creative aspect of roleplaying because people tend to get to hung up on ensuring their post has <number of words> or <number of paragraphs> when they should be focusing instead on having fun and interacting with the members.

That being said though, we still expect that members should be able to post more than a single line at a time in the roleplays.
But doesn't that mean you have a requirement? It does... but if someone has difficulty achieving a single line, then I would have to ask if this is the right hobby for them. Roleplay is about reading and posting, and if they struggle with making even one line then maybe it's not the right hobby for them at the moment.
01-23-2010 04:27 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
RE: About The Forum
What are the different usergroups?

The different usergroups include:

Guest - This title applies to anyone who is just visiting the forum, they have no account per say so they all fall under this one generic one. Guests have by far less access to the forum as well as they only have the ability to start and reply to topics in one place, the Visitor Lodge area. (This is a security feature to help minimize spam.)

Awaiting Activation - These are the members who have just joined and haven't had their accounts activated yet. Their access to the forum is still limited and they may not be able to access most features, but it does allow them to reply to topics in a few locations more than a guest.
Warning - accounts that haven't been validated after 30 days may be deleted.

New Recruit - These are the members who have had their accounts validated, but have yet to make any posts. As soon as they make five posts they are automatically promoted to Member. However if they don't make a single post in 90 days... their account may be deleted. Their access to the forum is still somewhat limited and they cannot use certain features (like PMs yet).

Members - These are the full members who have had their accounts activated and therefore get to enjoy full access to the forum. They can start topics almost everywhere as well as reply to every topic. These are the backbones of our forum, without them we would be nothing.

No PM - These are the members who either decided to break the rule about advertising, and attempted to advertise through the PM or email member system or they otherwise broke another rule in the PM system (such as flaming another member). As a result they can no longer use either of those systems (regardless of whether they broke the rule through PM or email.) Generally anyone placed in this group does not get out of it.

No RP - These are the members who get restricted from accessing the roleplay sections. It could be because they stole a user's work or they simply got too rowdy in the roleplay section and wouldn't listen to reason. Whatever the initial reason is they become restricted from the roleplay section... Sometimes it may only be a temporary punishment, but if the user can't control themselves repeatedly then it may be a more permanent solution.

Banned - These were the members who just couldn't follow the rules for whatever reason. After warnings and mod queues (and plenty of chances to be good) they still didn't get it and so we're done trying to get them to listen to us. They have no access to the forum whatsoever and if they make a duplicate account, they earn this status all over again.

Game Master - These are members who are leading a full section roleplay (as opposed to a single topic). They often have moderator powers in their specific section to handle application approval. (This means they will likely appear on the staff list for their section.)

Moderator - One part of the staff, these members have been selected by the Admins as honest, upstanding members of the community. They have shown an interest in helping the community grow and keeping the peace within. They have some staff powers, but are limited in which section or sections they can be applied.

Global Moderator - A second level of the staff. These are members, typically drawn from the mods, who have proven their value to the community. Thusly they are bestowed with even more trust. They have all the powers of the moderators... but they have them all over the forum instead of a few selected spots. They also have the power to ban unruly members.

Admin - The top level of the staff. The admins are the ones who make all the final decisions about how the forum is run for the benefit of the members. As well they have the most power through the forum.
01-23-2010 04:27 PM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me
RE: About The Forum
Why did you choose this host?

Spoiler:
I chose Jcink after doing a bit of research around with the various competitors.
These being mainly Proboards and Invisionfree/Zetaboards because I wanted something I was familiar with.

I immediately eliminated Proboards as a viable host for several reasons:
- Their security is atrocious. Most proboards are easy to break into.
- Their security measures for dealing with problem members is also quite poor. (The only option being ban and hope they go away, if that fails then you have to close registrations. And that seems a like a last ditch type solution to the problem... Something that should only be done as a last resort.)
- The support for the forums is equally as bad. The staff at Proboards are virtually useless if something bad does happen. Even though they keep back ups of the forums, they flat out refuse to reinstate them.
- The forums are very limited in skin options.
- The forums have a very limited set of features and to match up to the competitors require tons of additional codes be added in. (All of which slows the forum down some. As well future upgrades may break the codes implemented.)

I personally enjoyed the look of the InvisionFree forums, so it drew me closer to it. And having been an admin on a Jcink forum for over a year now, I grew somewhat more accustomed to that style of a forum. As well I got first hand experience of the kind of tools and options available to the Jcink forum. Thusly when I decided to open a forum I knew that Jcink would ultimately be my choice.

Spoiler:
I choose MyBB to convert Endless Fight to because I've used MyBB before in the past. (I've played around with it's Admin Control Panel and liked how easy everything was to use.)

I very much like how MyBB looks and acts. MyBB very much reminds me of Invision Power Boards 1.3 except with a slight graphical upgrade and significant work under the hood to add extra functionality.
01-26-2010 03:37 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

Who does the skinning?(And can I use it?)

Most of the skins were created by me.

As for using them... No. The skins are my hard work and I don't want others using them without my permission. If/when you are caught, I WILL report you for theft.
01-26-2010 03:41 AM
VirusZero Offline
Administrator

About Me

I have an idea for a skin, can I make it?

As in... will I give you Admin Control Panel access on Endless Fight to make the skin yourself? No. I won't do that.

If you have an idea for a skin that you'd like to see made, you should private message me or post about it in the suggestion area. If you don't have a test forum of your own and the idea is feasible, then I may try to create the skin.

If you have a test forum, you should speak to us first before anything. Then you can create it as you want then donate the skin to us. (Credit will of course be given to you either way.) Though for a heads up, any skins donated to Endless Fight will grant Endless Fight the license to use (or not use) as we see fit.

If you have a freely available (aka premade skin) skin you like, then you can send me the link to it and if I like it or think it would be a good addition then I will add it in.
DO NOT send me skins that you don't own or aren't permitted to use. If there is any question about ownership then I will not use it.
02-13-2010 01:35 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Our Affiliates - Affiliate with us!
Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight Endless Fight
We're listed at:
Forum Promotion RPGfix Vote for Endless Fight at Top Site List Planet
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Scanner
Spam Poison